Chapter 10

EDITED

Haylie jumped from the bed and pushed Derek by the chest towards her bathroom. "I'm not hiding in the bathroom." Derek protested but didn't use any force to push her away.

"Shh." He could see the panic in her eyes so let her push him into the small room and close the door.

Just as she shut the bathroom door, her bedroom one swung open. "I was calling you." Stiles sighed and casually moved to her clean desk to hoist himself up. Haylie frowned as he sat on the desk instead of the chair he was now using for his feet.

"Sorry, I was just in the bathroom." She lied but refused to move from her position in front of the door. Protecting it with her small frame.

"Well, what happened last night?" Derek tensed just as Haylie did from the question. "You didn't come to the party."

Both instantly relaxed again. Haylie folded her arms with a shrug. "Yeah I just wasn't feeling good so passed out I guess." Stiles took the lie, but still was curious considering he had tried to call her multiple times and even had Lydia talk to him for the first time in years.

"I tried calling you, your phone was off." Haylie shrugged again, starting to feel the pressure of the questions being thrown at her. "Do you feel okay now? I came into your room this morning, but you were already gone."

"Stiles, what is it you want from me? I told you I was sick okay." Stiles frowned at the sudden sharp response but shrugged and leaned forward on his knees. "I'm sorry." She apologised when she realised, she had to try and act normal to keep her promise to Derek. "How was the party?" Derek listened carefully to see what response Stiles would drum up to refrain from telling her his best friend lost control but, before Stiles could respond Haylie spoke again. "What happened with Scott? I heard he ditched Alison at the party?"

"Oh, he got sick too." Derek heard the lie, but something told him Halie wasn't just going to let it slide. "Must be a bug going around."

Haylie nodded in response but took a step closer to her brother and away from the door hiding Derek. "Seems pretty random though, he seems to really like her. He couldn't stop to explain?" Derek had to clench his jaw to stop him from jumping out of hiding and stopping Haylie asking questions to give herself away.

Stiles looked at his sister carefully, seeing a look on her face that she was hiding something from him. "You know what he's like when he has an asthma attack." He said carefully, not looking away from her. Haylie shrugged again and took another step forward.

"I actually haven't seen him have one in a while. What suddenly brought it on?

"Oh my god. You know."

She froze in place. Derek froze in place. Stiles jumped down from the desk. "You know." He repeated.

"Know what?" if the small crack in her voice didn't give it away, the fact she now looked down at her feet did.

Stiles moved closer to his sister, putting the pieces together. "Haylie. You know." He stated with such confidence that she knew there was no way she was a good enough liar to get out of it. "How do you know?" The question came out unsure, but he had already started putting scenarios together in his head.

Haylie took in a deep breath and looked back up to him. "I don't know what you're talking about Stiles."

"Derek told you, didn't he?" At the mention of Derek, Haylie turned round and moved herself back closer to the bathroom door. "Why would he tell you? What do you know exactly?"

"Stiles!"

Before she could come up with something else to push him away Stiles moved even closer to her. "You know about Scott and Derek."

She thought for a moment and tried to find some confidence by folding her arms and looking her brother dead in the eye. "I know that my brother has been lying to me about what's really going on with him."

Derek listened to the silence, anticipating an argument to break out and Haylie completely break her promise, potentially even revealing his location right now. However, he heard Haylie's heartbeat slow down instead of speed up. "I want you to leave." She said firmly, ready to push Stiles out of the room herself. Although, he didn't need to be asked twice as he turned and pulled out his phone just before the bedroom door was shut and locked behind him.

She knew he was going to call Scott and then he would come here too and join in on the interrogation about how she suddenly knew their dark secret. Her head fell with a thud on the now closed, locked door, ignoring the fact Derek had walked out of his hiding spot. "I'm sorry." She whispered before turning round and seeing him with his hands in his jacket pocket and an accusing look buried in his eyes.

"Nicely done." He said simply, the look on his face never changing.

Haylie groaned and let herself fall to the floor against the door. "I'm a terrible liar okay. I always have been."

Derek scoffed in response, as if it wasn't obvious to everyone she met. "Trust me I know. I've never met a person easier to read." She didn't take too much offence to the insult since she knew it was right. Instead she just pulled her knees to her chest and looked at the bracelet that had now been attached to her wrist.

"What did happen with Scott last night?"

Derek sighed and moved over to the comfy cream chair in the corner to take his seat. "He lost control." Haylie nodded, guessing that was the cause of his disappearance. "He'll be okay. He just needs to learn to accept this is his life now."

"Does it have to be?" She finally looked back to him and saw the way he looked so comfortable in the conversation, like they were friends not complete strangers. "Does any of it have to be like this?" He nodded in response. "If he's struggling. And my brother is caught up in all this as well. I want to help."

It was her truth and Derek knew it was. He was just surprised that she was confessing it. "Haylie, you shouldn't be involved in this to begin with, let alone..."

"You are the one that made involved Derek." She interrupted and brought herself to her feet. "That day that you smiled at me and decided you were going to use me to get to Stiles and Scott, was the day you involved me."

"I know." He looked away from her, knowing that it wasn't something he could take back now. "And you are helping, you're helping by staying quiet and carrying on with your normal life. Don't be like your brother and put your life in danger."

This time it was her turn to scoff. "My life is already in danger. The least you can do now, is help me help my brother." He frowned and stood up to meet her in the middle of the room. "I don't want to just carry on with my normal life, I want to help."

"Why?"

Haylie sighed but let herself look into the green eyes that were now so close to her. "Someone died Derek. If something happened to Scott or Stiles and I knew about all of this. I could never forgive myself."

He thought for a moment. He was trying to look inside her mind through her big brown eyes but all he saw was fear. Fear that she didn't want to be there. Fear that she needed gone. She wasn't asking him to help her help them. She was asking him to help her not be scared. "What do you want to do?"