Chapter 3

*Ding. Ding. Ding.*

Haylie sighed as she moved from her vanity to the iPhone on charge by her bed. Lydia had been texting her none stop since last night for last minute party planning. It was ironic since Lydia would never let Haylie make a single suggestion. Although, to her surprise it was a different name on the screen.

Max Murray – Hey, just wanted to check you're going to Lydia's party tomorrow?

Of course Haylie would be going since it was her best friends party. She knew he had been building the courage to ask her ever since summer started but she was surprised he had left it to the day before the party, and that he decided to use such an obvious line. Max had been a part of their lives for a long time, but since his growth spurt freshman year of high school he had his eyes on the prize. The prize being Haylie Stilinski.

Hey! Yeah of course I am. Looking forward to it.

Haylie put her phone back down and moved back over to finish her morning routine. She was thinking about all the way's she could let Max down gently since she knew the time was coming where he would make his move. It was a shame really. He was a really nice guy and was not hard to look at in the slightest with his brown hair and brown eyes. He was the classic boy next door, but unfortunately, Haylie promised herself no dating until she got into dance school. There could be no distractions. Not even a cute lacrosse player.

Just as her phone dinged again, Haylie's eyes fell on the leather jacket resting on her desk chair. Thinking about the promise she made herself about no dating for some reason made her mind jump to Derek. She had thought about giving the jacket to Stiles to give back to him but that was a lot harder when the idea of seeing him again kept her up at night.

It had only been a few nights since she was in the car with Derek Hale, so it was definitely strange that she had thought about him as much as she had. She thought about his smile and his green eyes. The way he was a gentleman in holding the car door open for her but also seemed assertive when he first found her near his house. "Hey."

Haylie jumped by the sudden sound of her brother's voice this early in the morning. He looked slightly apologetic when he realised, he had knocked her out of whatever daydream she had been caught in. "Why are you so chipper this morning?" She asked instead of biting his head off.

Stiles watched as his sister moved over to her phone, leaving the leather jacket in perfect position for him to grab it. "Oh, you know, early bird gets the worm and all that." He said inching closer while she was distracted tapping on her phone.

"Stiles you're a guy." He instantly froze in his tracks. Leaving the idea of stealing the jacket a distant memory. "Right."

"You're asking me if I'm a guy?" Haylie shook her head realising how it sounded, but also not surprised Stiles took it literally. "You know we used to share baths right."

Haylie threw her phone in her brown bag and debated leaving the conversation there. But the next ding pushed her forward. "How would you want to be let down gently by a girl?"

"Easy. I wouldn't."

"If you had to be. What would make you feel less embarrassed?" Stiles shrugged again, never really had thought about it since the only girl he's ever had a crush on lets him down every day just by ignoring him. Haylie pulled on her black boots and gave her brother a push to leave her bedroom together. "Let me put it this way. You finally have the courage to ask Lydia if she'll go to a party with you. How would you like her to turn you down?" Stiles knew his sister knew about his crush but didn't like the idea of talking about it so openly.

"Why are you asking me this?" He asked as they descended the stairs. Haylie sighed again but decided as he was Stiles, he only had one person to tell about her drama. "In fact, why are you asking me anything at all? You never ask me questions?"