Chapter 4

EDITED

After Haylie dealt with Lydia and her obsession with teen gossip, she sat down for an hour of study hall, surrounded by books and work but unable to think about anything other than her brother. Maybe it was her twin telepathy that told her there was something going on, or maybe it was just that she knew her brother better than she thought he did. She remembered when their mother died, and both of them would lash out at one another and sometimes say the most hurtful things but it was just because they were in pain. It was what pushed them apart to begin with, but it had been years since he lashed out like that.

She could be a good sister and realise he could be going through something and agree to not see Derek again. On the other hand, she could go find him and force the truth out of him like she did when they were kids and he broke one of her toys. She chose the latter.

Stiles sat on the bench as usual. This time his mind wasn't focussed on trying to get in the game. It was focussed on his friend and his sister. Just as the thoughts were getting too dark, Haylie sat down quietly next to him. "Do you think you'll get any field time today?" She asked, clasping her hands around her denim covered knees. Her back straight with perfect posture while he leaned forward on his knees like a hunchback.

He took in a deep breath and undid his gloves. "Yeah, I just have to wait for everyone else on the team to die of natural causes."

Haylie chuckled slightly out of pity but saw the real stress in her brother's face. "I heard Scott asked Alison to the party." She said after a few more moments of silence. Stiles nodded slightly but still stayed silent. Afraid of what he might say if he opened his mouth again. "Have you asked anyone or..." She trailed off, hoping to give him some space to join the conversation.

"What do you want Haylie?" He finally said, tired of pretending to have a normal conversation. "Aren't you afraid your friends will see us and realise our matching last names aren't just a coincidence."

If she was unsure before, she knew now. He wasn't mad at her, but he was mad at something. Maybe it was Derek, maybe it was lacrosse or Scott. But she could smile a little knowing it wasn't her. "You're my brother Stiles." She said quietly before standing and letting him sit by himself again as it was clear it was what he needed.

While she was letting Stiles be alone with his own thoughts. She was more determined to find out exactly what was going on with him, and the perfect opportunity to find out was coming over at 5.

"Max totally cornered me." Haylie laughed as she closed the front door behind her. "Thankfully he could tell I was in a rush to get to the studio, but I swear, it was like he was waiting for me in that hallway."

"It wouldn't surprise me." Lydia laughed. "So, what did you tell him?"

Haylie could tell just by the tone of Lydias voice she was only half listening, but she continued like she had 100% attention. "I didn't get to say a word. He was too focused on trying to make out he wasn't trying to ask me on a date this morning." The conversation was fresh with awkwardness in her mind. "He said something like 'I just didn't want to have our wires crossed'. Like, who talks like that?" She kicked off her shoes and made her way up the stairs to her bedroom.

"I heard he asked Amy at lunch." Haylie frowned and stopped in her tracks at the top of the stairs.

"And you are just telling me this now?"

Lydia rolled her eyes at her friend. Just because she knew everything doesn't mean she shared everything straight away. "Believe it or not Haylie, I have my own drama to deal with. Jackson wont stop going on about Scott and it's really becoming a turn off."