Juliet, save me!

Dedicating this to the best (in my own opinion) in action-romance genre: MsButterfly

The only times the Arida's backyard came to life was when her family reunited every Thanksgiving. Juliet would be blasting her favourite album of Mariah Carey - Daydream - and would replay Fantasy for as long as the barbecue was ready. But her introduction to Mariah's music came after watching Rush Hour, where a Chinese girl, an unwitting hostage, was singing Fantasy at the backseat.

As a child, Juliet would after her playmates around the backyard and imitated stuff Jackie did in the film. And after apologizing to her playmates's parents, for knocking out their sons's teeth and all sort of infliction, her dad would ground her for a week.

Her mom usually slipped to her quarter and eased her. At one point, she came up to Juliet's room the exact moment Mariah's When I Saw You played. 'Don't you wish to walk to the aisle with this song playing?' she said. A question and a dare. She became a catalyst for Juliet to change her manner.

Gradually, from there on, she tried to become a lady who seemed like she couldn't handle a prick. She tried to be that Juliet Taylor Swift used to sing - the one who needed saving. And this was when Romeo appeared.

Romeo was Clark Kent without the superpower. He was more of a library type of guy, the one who would never insinuate, let alone stood up in a fight. But that flew off when he caught Juliet being held against her will.

With a lack of self-defense, Romeo easily got beaten. And for trying, Juliet dated him. Since then, they became an item. They never had a date night since for Juliet, a night was still a day.

The only time they ever did date at night was when they went to Paris. Romeo had a stable job and desired to settle down with Juliet as his wife. And what better time to popped in the question with a diamond engagement ring than that night behind the Eiffel. Juliet could only nod and sob and bury her face as she was lost for a word.

So now the backyard was brought back to life and this time, it's from an occasion every woman visualized. Guests were coming in; the music was playing. Juliet opted for a backyard wedding adorned with white flowers, fabric and aesthetic. These garlands perfumed the air and reached the room where she was being made beautiful, not that she wasn't already.

A pearl sequinned gown hugged her body. Her hair flowed like a callalily and her smile, a camera ready. But that's until an assistant makeup artist handed her a letter similar to the ones they gave as invitations. Except this had a handwritten words of greeting by someone she knew so well, or so she thought. 'Big J.'

"Everyone, may I ask for privacy. Please? Just for a moment."

Everyone left the room with Juliet quickly tearing the letter to read:

'You know I don't want to do this, my angel. But you leave me no choice. Bring me 'it' and I'll send you instructions where to find your groom.'

Juliet's fists were so clenched she could almost tear the paper. She stripped down her gown and changed into her leather studded suit - an image her parents and friends had never seen of, but Romeo might. It's that image every novice assassins strived to be.

Big J run a secret assassination firm servicing clients ranging from the famous to the infamous. Juliet, being the most skilled and experienced assasin brought in the biggest earnings.

She was initiated to this way of living as early as a sophomore high - or as she dubbed, 'The worst year of my life.' Her parents had been 'Good job!'

As stranger as he was, Big J took her under his care and protection. He was, to say, a second father, without the rules in grounding. In fact, he laid a different rule.