Thirty Two

"I'm sorry I couldn't be there," Janet told me, planting a soft kiss upon my forehead. I sat within her legs, resting my head on her right shoulder. We were in her bedroom, discussing the salon's first day of reopening.

It felt good to be back in business. Gossiping with familiar clients while styling their hair, creating an aroma of Oil Sheen and freshly pressed curls. I loved it, I missed it.

But I also missed Tarik. I missed how he'd help out around the salon whenever I needed. From sweeping to mopping, or just simply being curious enough to want to learn to shampoo hair. It always made me laugh a bit, seeing him take interest in my work.

"Hey, does your sister ever mention anything about Tarik?" Janet asked me, caressing my backside. "Y'know...since he's been...gone?"

I sighed, allowing my head's side to side movement to answer for me. Dorinda and I spoke about her withdrawal from service, we spoke about her reoccurring addiction. But, we still hadn't talked about the passing of her son—well her reaction to his passing at least.

"Maybe she talks about him to Mama, but she hasn't said anything about him to me," I told Janet, shrugging my shoulders, letting my eyes roam the ceiling above. "Let's not forget what she said to me when I told her he had gotten killed. She didn't give a damn."

The other woman too sighed, in disbelief of my sister's negligence for her son's death. "I swear, some people just don't deserve to be parents." She began gliding her hands up and down my arms. "Did she show up to work this morning?"

"She didn't, actually," I said back, rolling my eyes. It did surprise me not having Dorinda show up to the salon, especially when I offered her the job. Had it had been anyone else, I probably wouldn't have done that. But her being my sister, I at least tried to help.

"Well, now you know to not offer her another job," Janet grabbed onto my hands, holding them within her own. "And shit, the way she like whipping guns out on people, you shouldn't want her working for you anyways."

I laughed, recalling just the ridiculousness that happened in the salon. It was almost embarrassing seeing Dorinda act as though she had truly lost her mind. "You right about that." I adjusted my body, turning to face Janet. Grabbing onto her waist, I said, "Listen, enough about her. I'm hungry. Why don't we order some food?"

The woman started to laugh, looking at me sideways, "Oh, you don't want me cooking for you?" She then kissed both my cheeks, pulling me closer to her.

I too laughed, waving her off. "Please, I don't know what that shit is you be eating. It's like bird food."

She looked at me with large eyes and a widened mouth, playfully pushing me away from her. "Wow. Y'know what? You wrong for that." She rose from the bed, undoing her silk robe to showcase her physique. "It's the bird food that's got me looking like this."

"Mhm," I eyed her up and down, roaming her body from head to toe. "You keep on eating your bird food then." Though I joked, I couldn't deny the fact that I appreciated this woman, that I appreciated her beauty. It truly felt like an honor every day I got to be in her presence, holding her and touching her.
"Where are you going?" I then asked, watching as she walked opposite of me. "You leaving me?"

"I should leave you for what you said about my food," Janet answered, cheesing as she stood in the doorway. "But I'm not. I'm just going to the kitchen to get some menus."