Nine

"You didn't forget your juice box, did you?" I asked Josiah, holding onto his left hand. It had been eight forty-five the next morning and we were at his elementary school, just about to enter his kindergarten classroom.

He moved his head from side to side, looking up at me. "No, Mommy. I-I remembered to put it in my lunchbox like you told me." He pointed towards his book bag, in which his lunchbox had been stored.

Rubbing my hands through his hair, I smiled. "Oh, look at you, remembering things." I was proud of him. Everyday he was growing and so eager to learn.

"Mommy, why...why didn't I see Mama before we...we left for school?" I watched as curiosity formed within my baby's pupils, uncertainty held onto his face.

We were just about to open the door to his classroom, but I stopped us just in our tracks. He was only six and I hadn't exactly known how to answer him. How could I explain to him that his mothers weren't as he thought we were? Our marriage was heading for it's end and this meant things were definitely going to be different.
"Oh, Jojo. She's just—she had some things to do this morning. But, she says she loves you and wishes you a great day at school. So don't you worry, okay?"

He shook his head up and down, smiling at me with his eyes. "It's okay, Mommy. I'll see Mama when she picks me up today."

I too moved my head in the same fashion, pointing at him with my index finger. "That's right. She'll be here to get you just like all the other times." Me transporting Josiah to school in the morning and Joy getting him in the afternoon had always been our plan and always worked for us. While I did hair during the day and couldn't exactly leave the salon, Joy would be free.

She was a baker, whom had worked very hard to establish her own bakery, Sweets Of Joy. Being as though she had an entire staff team, she always had the freedom to stay or leave as she pleased.

In fact, Joy having a thing for baking was how we met. While my salon had just opened up, she would always stop by displaying her treats to sell to myself and my clients. She hadn't had Sweets Of Joy yet and desperately did all that she could to get it. I agreed to allowing her to sell out of the salon and as the years went on, we grew closer.

"Bye, Mommy," Josiah said back to me, giving to me a hug. "Jaden and Ava are waiting for me." He then entered his classroom, greeting his peers.
I laughed, finding it rather cute that he wanted to get to his friends.

Leaving out of the school and into my vehicle, I drove into the direction of my salon. It had been quite a while since the last I was there. After everything that happened with Tarik, I needed time off. Thankfully, my clients understood wholeheartedly. But, I soon realized that sometimes when nothing else worked, styling hair was the grace that got me through. Being with my clients, listened as they confided in me. I missed it. I decided that within the next week, I'd return to what I loved.

Also, I had contacted my attorney and asked if she could meet me at the salon to discuss my filing for divorce. I wanted to be clear and certain of all my options and assets going into this.

I pulled onto the street of which the salon was located, excited to be back in my establishment. But, that excitement had soon vanished when I arrived. Upon the windows of the salon, Blue Lives Matter had been imprinted in bold, blue letters. The door had been busted in and glass scattered everywhere.