Eleven

For the past few days, I spent a lot of my time at my shop, trying to fix it up and clean it before it were to reopen. I hadn't used any of the money Janet gave to me, as I was still upset about seeing that woman in her apartment.

I should've just asked her about it, but it caught me so off guard that I just got in my car and drove off. I mean, what else was I supposed to do?

"Toni, the boys wanna know what you want them to do with those mirrors in the back by the kitchen?" Mike asked me, as the two of us were in the front of the shop, cleaning what had gotten messy. I swept as he tended to the booths.
The last Mike and I spoke was the day the protest happened outside of his home. When he heard about the damage done to my shop, he called on some of his friends and insisted on helping me renovate, but only as long as I offered to pay. 

"Mirrors?" I asked, my eyes widened. It had been so long since I really stood in my shop and remembered it for what it was. "Um just tell them to—just have them load them on the truck. I'll donate those to the church, I guess."

Mike shrugged his shoulders, seeming curious. "Okay. I mean, you could just let us have them." He started to walk towards the back, getting ready to tell his friends what I said. "Unless you thinking we gon' steal them."

"What are you—why would I think that Mike?" I stopped sweeping, looking at him sideways. Here he was again, trying to insinuate some kind of thought that I figured I was better than him and his homeboys.

"I'm just saying," he put his hands up, after stopping to face me once more. "You didn't even offer to let us have them. You know we ain't got it easy like you do."

I waved him off, beginning to sweep again. It wasn't my fault that he still dedicated his life to the streets, not getting away when he should have. I tried to help Mike out whenever I could, but sometimes he never seemed appreciative.
"You being mad because you still over there in that neighborhood selling dope ain't got nothing to do with me. That's called misery, Mike."

He started to respond, but before he could, the entrance door had opened and closed. I turned to see who had entered, surprised that it was Janet. Upon her face, she carried an expression of complete annoyance.

"Janet, what are you doing here?" I dropped the broom, not caring where it landed. I then walked toward her, waiting for some kind of explanation. Who the hell did she think she was to just show up to my shop? Unannounced?

"Why haven't you answered my calls nor returned my damn texts?" She said back, her arms crossed above her chest. "I'm not doing this with you, Toni. If you're mad at me, you need to tell me."

I glanced at Mike, as he listened, and asked him to give us a minute or two. He understood, going toward the back of the shop.
"I'm not speaking to you because I saw that woman in your apartment, which means you are obviously involved." I too crossed my arms. "I don't have time for the games, Janet."

"Games?" Her eyes widened as her brows rose a bit. "Let's not act like you're not married, Toni. I swear it's like everyday Joy gives you another reason to leave her ass, and you won't. You're the one playing games."

I sighed, rolling my pupils in circular motions. I didn't mean to put Janet in a situation as though I was wanting to choose between her and Joy. "You know that I'm working on getting a divorce, so don't even go there. It's not easy to just up and leave when you have a kid together."