three

three

_____ 🌿 _____

COLLINS PORT WAS THE KIND OF PICTURESQUE, SEASIDE VILLAGE TOURISTS WERE ADDICTED TO. It was the kind of town that they advertised to you on the back of postcards, the place you begged your parents to take you to when you were child, or the place where you and your friends would drive to on a road trip for the day or maybe even the weekend.

Summers were perfect for a variety of activities and was an overall wonderful place to bring your family for a vacation or quick getaway. Adults could come for the quaint village type feel and local cuisine, while kids came for a chance to swim in the ocean, and enjoy the fair that went on over the course of the summer. There was sailing, and whale watching and if you were brave you could try your hand at catching crabs out on the boats. They had several greenhouses, and farmers markets that you could attend on weekends.

Aside from being coastal, they had forests galore. There were hiking trails that you could get lost on (not literally, they were well marked to the point where it was impossible to get lost, it was the scenery that made you not want to leave.) You could spend hours in the woods, captivated by the beauty of the trees, and the lakes and streams. Certain trails brought you to lookouts where you could see the mountains, the vast expanse of the forest, or even see the town from a bird's eye view. There were caving expeditions that you could sign up for, and lakes you could go swimming or fish in. Sometimes people just came for the sake of the lake. It had quite the history. Salem's Lake had been popular back in the 1600s and early 1700s for Trial by Water in which they would drown women and men suspected of witchcraft to see if they were innocent. They didn't live anywhere near Massachusetts, but the lake was named after the dark time. Salem's Lake was known for being haunted, and a lot of people would come up just to see whether or not they could catch a glimpse of a ghost. Jimin believed that it was haunted. How could he not when he was still having those dreams after always drowning in the lake. But to others, they were just ghost stories to make sure children didn't step too close to the edge.

Summer was when they attracted all the tourists. There wasn't much to do in the winter except for ice fishing, but there were always a few families who braved the drive down from the city because the woods were gorgeous in the winter time. They did attract a number of people in the fall though. People came for the reds, orange and yellows. Hiking was a popular activity during that time.

Collins Port was the biggest town on the coast. It didn't seem that big when you first arrived, the East end of town was a little more scattered until you reached the main roads, so it always felt like you were out in the middle of nowhere, boxed in with the forest on one end and the ocean on the other. The reason that Collins Port was the biggest, however, was if you hung a left past Lo's Bakery on main, you could take that road all the way up to Gallows Point where the University stood. They had the best University in the area if you didn't want to study up in the city. Jimin was enrolled in English and Literature as well as a creative writing course. Jungkook was studying the arts, and Jin - who had graduated two years prior - had taken culinary courses.

Jimin lived on the opposite end of where the University was. He liked to joke that it was prime real estate because he was right in between the ocean and the woods. Good views on both ends. From his bedroom window, he could see the lighthouse, and Collins Point, a popular cliff jumping spot for locals. Higher above it - easily accessible by a trail - you got Devil's Edge (the cliff Jimin dreamt about falling from at least once a month) Only the brave (and the stupid) went up to Devil's Edge to look out at the vast ocean before them. You went up there for a rush, but for the most part, people stayed on the lower cliff, and nobody was crazy enough to go off the edge. There were only three reasons one might jump from Devil's Edge. 1) You accidentally fell because you got too close to the edge and slipped, 2) You were pushed or 3) You wanted to die. Several people had been known to take their lives from that cliff. Jimin knew all their names by heart - there was a plaque with them in the front office of the high school with a message asking you to seek help if you're not feeling well. If you went off the edge you had no chance of surviving, and if you did by some miracle you were injured for life. Since Jimin had turned fourteen, there was at least one person a year who went off the cliff.