company for the lonely and hungry

COMPANY FOR THE LONELY AND HUNGRY

In which lonely Ash is not a hungry Ash.

~☆~

If there was anything obvious about the raven haired, chocolate eyed boy, it was that he loved food. He loved anything and everything. As long as it was edible and delicious smelling, it would most likely find its way into his stomach.

But there was one part of the feasting experience he did not enjoy. That was eating alone. He never liked being alone in general. Silence wasn't his favourite thing in the world.

At the moment, it seemed like he wouldn't be eating tonight.

Ash sat at the dinner table alone, frowning at the food his fork was poking. He was mostly intrigued by the mashed potatoes that jiggled when he smacked it with back of his fork.

The delicious scent of the food wasn't enough to get his hunger going. The feeling of loneliness seemed more overwhelming.

Ash sighed and looked out the window. The outside was dark and ominous with no stars in the sky. An exact representation of how he was feeling right now.

He looked down at the pokemon food, where Pikachu would usually be eating but the yellow pokemon was currently resting in the pokemon centre after a intense battle with a Machoke which they were barely able to win. They came out victorious but Pikachu had to rest.

Then the opposite of his table where Gou should be seating, scrolling through his phone and sipping on his drink without sparing a glance at his food. But Gou was out on a catching spree. In fact, he should have been back by now and Ash was still waiting. Hungry, lonely and impatient.

Impatient.

Ash stood up from his chair and stared at his uneaten food apologetically. Such good food going to waste. Giving one last exasperating sigh, he turned to leave.

"Ash!" Gou appeared through the door, supporting his body against the frame as he tried to catch his breath.

"Gou?" Ash looked at the boy with worry.

"Sorry I kept you waiting." Gou managed to say between pants.

Ash smiled weakly, "It's fine, you didn't keep me waiting too long." He lied and walked back to the table and sat down. Gou sat opposite of him and looked at the food. "Wow, smells so good! I'm so hungry!"

Ash laughed as the boy began piling food onto his plate. "Well, let's eat!" He picked up his fork and dug in.

_

"Wow, that was great." Ash hummed in content, rubbing his now full stomach.

Gou could only manage a nod in response.

"Say, Gou?" Ash peeked at the boy who opened his eyes to look at him. "What took you so long?"

Gou laughed nervously, "Well, I was trying to catch this Hypno but I got into a battle. I had to rush Raboot to the pokemon centre and make sure it was okay before I realised I left you waiting."

"Oh...did you catch it?"

Gou took out his phone and showed Ash his pokedex. "See for yourself." Gou smirked. The picture of the yellow, psychic pokemon was displayed on the screen.

"Whoa! Awesome!" Ash exclaimed with excitement. "You're amazing!"

Gou let out a triumph huff, happy that he was being praised, and pocketed his phone.

Ash's excitement soon settled down and a frown replaced his smile. "You know Gou, you didn't have to come here. I'm pretty sure Raboot needs you there." Ash looked away with guilt.

Gou looked at the boy in front of him. "True but it's not like Nurse Joy let's trainers into the back. Besides, if I didn't come back you'd probably starve to death in your sleep."

"Wha?!" Ash's eyes widened. "What are you talking about?!"

Gou smiled knowingly, "Surely you don't think I'm dumb, Ash-"

"No! It's the opposite really!" Ash intervened with a panicked look.

Gou stared at him for a while before bursting into laughter at how amusing the whole ordeal was. "Oh, Ash!" Gou gasped and wiped his tears away. "You really are an interesting fellow."

Ash chuckled sheepishly and scratched his head not knowing how to respond to the compliment.

Gou stopped his laughter and looked at him seriously. "But in all seriousness," Ash cringed. "I know you don't take well to being alone."

"Well..."

"Ash. You don't have to hide this things from me, we're friends after all."

Ash looked into the latter's piercing blue eyes. His eyes matched his expression and tone. Ash gulped, his throat felt like a barren wasteland. "I-It's just that... I don't want to be a bother." He admitted, avoiding Gou's stare.

Gou sighed, "It's not a bother to me. You're my best friend and I will always want to help you. I'm sure you'd do the same for me?"

Ash looked back at him. "Right." He said with a firm nod to match his tone.

Gou smiled, "Good. So no hiding things from each other. And no lying!" He said pointedly. Ash scratched his cheek with a guilty smile.

"Well, at least promise me you'll be here on time for meals." Ash suggested in a hushed tone.

Gou heard and laughed, causing the other boy to blushed and look away. "Of course Ash, anything for you!"

Ash huffed with embarrassment and tried to avoid eye contact with the laughing boy.

After that night, Gou never missed a single meal.

~♡~

Just some lil' sweet friend stuff to get things started.