Part 34

Stevie couldn't just not go over there. She had just arrived for the soundcheck and the fist two people she saw, talking among themselves, were Mick and Lindsey. Greeting her bandmates should have been a completely normal thing to do, but she hadn't spoken to Lindsey for weeks now. Even after she read his letter, she couldn't muster up the courage to reach out to him, the thing was, she wasn't sure if he wanted her to. Stevie was becoming increasingly nervous with every step she took towards the two men. 

"Well, hello!" Mick caught her with the corner of his eye and turned, squishing her in a hug. 

"Hi, Mick." Stevie half smiled, pulling away, her eyes drifted over to Lindsey. There was as much hesitation on his part as hers, but... "Lindsey." She gave a small nod of her head and they hugged each other briefly, awkwardly. 

"I, uh... I'll be right back." Lindsey excused himself and walked away.

"That's rude, walking off in the middle of a conversation." Mick joked, sticking his hands in his pants' pockets. "How are you?"

"I'm doing okay." Stevie shrugged, wondering if Lindsey really had to go somewhere. "And you?"

"I'm doing good. And you-" Mick pointed at her. "Are bullshitting me. Don't give me that look." He interrupted before Stevie could lie her way out. "I think, you sometimes forget that we've known each other for nearly forty years."

With a heavy sigh, Stevie clasped her hands and looked down. "A lot has happened, Mick. Lindsey and I aren't exactly on speaking terms with each other."

"Dear Lord." Mick couldn't fight back an eye roll. "You were getting on so well on the tour, which has just ended. I believe you two were seeing each other." He said, his eyebrow raised.

"And I believe that you know, he and Kristen are getting divorced." Mick nodded, folding his arms over his chest. "Well... I chose to save my own marriage instead."

Shaking his head Mick, let out a deep breath. "You two are like bloody teenagers. I know that your relationship's complex to say the least, but, come on, Stevie. After all these years? After two marriages and children, you still keep searching your way back to each other. You choose to betray your loved ones, just to part again? I don't get it." Mick gave a shrug of his shoulders. "I truly don't understand, why do it? Why keep torturing yourselves, when clearly neither of you have managed to move on? Don't you think there's a reason why? It's fine if you choose to hurt yourselves and each other, but please, stop doing it to everyone else involved. You say, you two aren't speaking now, but I think we all know that in time, you'll be right back at it. The band will go back on the road, you two will be away from home, get together, have a little too much to drink and the cycle will continue. I love you both dearly, but, God... Grow up already." Mick didn't regret what he said, but the look on Stevie's face made him question if he was a bit too harsh. Although, somebody had to say it. "Now, please, put it behind you for tonight. We've got a show to do."

Stevie didn't know how to respond. She felt a lump of tears in her throat and she cocked her head back, she wasn't going to cry. Instead of replying, Stevie turned back the way she came in and found Karen to accompany her to the dressing room. Once she was hidden away from everybody, Stevie did let a few tears slip, but she shook herself mentally, telling herself to be strong. It was one night, just one night. Then, she could go back home and forget about everything for a while. 

With the soundcheck completed, Stevie returned to her dressing room, sitting patiently as her makeup artist worked to get her ready for the show. Don had promised to come and he should have been there by now. Stevie was starting to get a little worried as she apologized to the makeup artist and reached for her phone. Maybe Don was just running late. Stevie chose to call him anyway. And then once more. He didn't answer. He always answered.