Part 24

Stevie didn't have a very peaceful night. Don had about a week in between shows, so he was home, waiting for her, when she returned. They stayed up late, talking and Stevie was glad it was just talking that Don was interested in. They fell asleep around 4 am and since neither of the two had to wake up early for any commitment, it was nearly midday, when Stevie opened her eyes lazily. 

"Good morning." Don smiled, who'd been seemingly awake for some time. 

"Morning." Stevie replied, the covers up to her nose, hiding her face. She took in a deep breath and yawned, tuning onto her back. Feeling Don's hand inching closer, she rolled out of bed and disappeared into the bathroom. 

Both of them were still actively touring musicians and it wasn't very often that Stevie and Don were both home at the same time. He wanted to use every opportunity to be close to her, but she didn't seem to feel the same. Last night he knew, he shouldn't push his luck, but he couldn't resist a light touch, a kiss here and there, however, Stevie didn't respond to any of it. Was Don worried? Absolutely. Stevie came home changed after every time Fleetwood Mac had a break or were done with a tour. There was no way of knowing, what exactly happened, while Stevie was around Lindsey, but Don still did his best to trust her. 

"I'm starving." Stevie said, reentering the bedroom. 

"Yeah? I thought, maybe we could lie in bed for a while, you know, have a lazy day in." Don suggested, but she didn't seem up for it as she grabbed her robe and put it on over her nightgown. 

"Join me for breakfast instead." Stevie argued with a smile on her face, before she headed out the door, leaving Don no other choice.

Walking down the stairs, Stevie heard someone moving around in the kitchen and she smiled brightly at Alice, who was taking out things out of the fridge. Approaching her daughter, Stevie hugged Alice tightly from behind, startling the teenager.

"Mom! Jesus, why would you scare me like that?" Alice exclaimed, but then quickly freed her hands and gave her mother a hug back. "I've missed you."

"I've missed you too, sweet girl." Stevie kissed Alice on the cheek and pulled back. "What's going on here?"

"I heard you and dad talking as I passed your bedroom, thought I'd make you breakfast. Or lunch." Alice said, showing Stevie to take a seat at the table. Don joined them too. "I didn't hear, when you came home."

"It was late." Stevie nodded. "I wanted to see you, but you were already asleep."

"Well, I'm glad to have you back." Alice smiled over her shoulder.

Stevie sat back and just watched her daughter move around, concentrated on her task of cooking. She'd always seen similarities between Alice and Lindsey, but they had never been so prominent until now. Stevie was happy that Lindsey finally knew the truth, but it also hurt her, that Alice never could. She then looked over to Don, whose eyes were already on her. She knew that he had something going through his mind, he had a certain look on his face and she didn't quite know what it meant, leaving Stevie slightly concerned.

"It's not much, but hey." Alice shrugged, bringing over two plates of scrambled eggs to her parents. "I've only recently taken up cooking."

"Thank you, sweetheart." Don smiled at her and Stevie did the same.

Alice was interested in how the tour went over in Europe, she had one question after another and Stevie happily answered everything, while Don sat quietly, trying to pick up little things that might help him understand, what was going on with his wife. He was no longer surprised at the tens of times that Lindsey's name was mentioned, but he still preferred not to hear about that man. 

The doorbell rang, interrupting the family time. No one was expected to arrive. Stevie pushed back her chair, saying, she was going to go see, who was at the door. 

"Kristen?" To say that Stevie was surprised was an understatement. "What are you doing here?" 

"You just couldn't stay away, could you?" Kristen answered with a question of her own.