Part 28

Stevie smiled at the pair of arms hugging her from behind, a soft kiss pressed to her cheek. Alice remained with her arms around her mother as she looked down at what Stevie was doing. 

"What's going on here?" 

"Just... drawing." Stevie shrugged. "It relaxes me, calms me down."

Alice let go and took a seat, her eyebrow slightly raised. "What happened? And don't say, nothing, because I know better." She added. "Something to do with dad, right?"

"What makes you say that?" Stevie asked, putting her pencil down as she directed her attention to her daughter. 

"Just a guess. There was a weird vibe between you two, when he had to go back on the road. You shared this awkward hug and that's all."

"You know, sometimes I think that we still believe you're a little kid, Alice." Stevie sighed. "We had an argument."

"About?" 

Stevie didn't respond right away, she didn't really know how to. Even though Alice wasn't a child anymore, she still couldn't tell her the truth either. "I went to see Lindsey, because he and Kristen are getting divorced. I spent quite a bit of time over at his and when I came home, your father knew that something had happened. We started talking and I admitted that Lindsey and I grew a lot closer together during this tour. I'll spare you the details, but one thing led to another and... well." She shrugged, she couldn't share much else.

"Mom, do you think, you and dad should still be having arguments about Lindsey?" 

"I truly don't." Shaking her head, Stevie replied honestly. "But... it's complicated, honey. Linds and I share a whole lotta history."

"You never call him that around me." Alice pointed out and Stevie just then realized, how she'd referred to Lindsey. "I mean, it's okay, but it makes me wonder too."

"Wonder?"

Nodding her head, Alice crossed her legs and looked down at her clasped hands. "I know that there's a lot of love there still. Just like when dad gets worried, when you leave, I worry too. I don't want you and dad to break up."

Parting her lips, Stevie stopped herself from speaking. Alice had never before voiced such a concern. Was it that obvious to everyone around? Were Stevie and Lindsey the only two, who were oblivious? 

"I love you both and I wouldn't want to have to pick sides." Alice added.

"Sweetheart..." Stevie's heart hurt, hearing her daughter say those words. "We're not separating, we're not getting divorced, everything is fine. Like I said, your father and I just had an argument, that's it."

That was a massive lie and Stevie hated being dishonest with Alice, but she couldn't be truthful either, especially since she didn't really know what was going to happen with Don either. The truth was, after Stevie and Don talked, he left her be for the night. The following day, he had a bag packed and he went to stay at a hotel for the last day before having to rejoin Eagles on the road. She called and tried asking if they were done, but Stevie didn't get an answer. Don said that he needed time to think it all over. He told her that he didn't want to lose her, that his heart was broken, but he wasn't sure if he could stay married to her, knowing that she was still in love with another man.

"Why are Lindsey and Kristen separating?" Alice asked. 

"Well, I guess they're just not happy being together anymore."

"And it has nothing to do with you?" Alice's voice had a hint of accusation. "After so many years in a marriage, three kids..."

"I don't think this is your place to question, what happened between them, Alice. I don't appreciate you implying that it's my fault either."

"I'm not saying that it's your fault, but-"

"Alice." Stevie cut her off. "I don't want to talk about it."

With a heavy sigh, Alice got up and walked out of Stevie's room. Now she definitely believed that her mother had everything to do with Lindsey and Kristen getting divorced. More than that, Alice was now truly worried about her own parents staying together.