Part 25

With a frown on her face, Stevie took a step forward, making Kristen step back, as she closed the door behind her. The two women were inches apart, the younger seemingly enraged, breathing heavily, her eyes wide.

"I want to come in." Kristen said through gritted teeth.

"First of all, what makes you think that you can just come banging on my door, yelling at me?" While inside Stevie was worried, outside she didn't seem all that fazed. "And second of all, why are you even here?"

"Don't pretend. I'm sure it was you, who convinced Lindsey to ask me for divorce!" 

Stevie was rendered speechless, she needed a moment to come back to her senses. "Divorce? Divorce? What are you talking about?"

"Let me through." Kristen demanded. "I want to tell your husband, what a huge whore he has for a wife!"

"Calm down, Jesus!" Stevie yelled back at the other woman. "You clearly think that I know something about this, but I don't, okay? Lindsey didn't mention anything to me about considering asking you for a divorce." 

Kristen took a few deep breaths, the look on Stevie's face telling her that she truly had no idea. However, Kristen was certain this was still her fault. "How do you imagine I felt, when we were all having breakfast as a family, after being separated for months, and once the kids got up and left, Lindsey told me, he doesn't want to be with me anymore?"

"Devastated, I'm sure, but I didn't push him into doing anything like that." Stevie's heart was beating out of her chest. She never thought something like that could ever happen, she wondered what it meant for her and Lindsey, she feared that he expected for her to do the same. The question was, did she want to, was she ready for it? "I don't know, what Lindsey told y-"

"He told me that it's always been you." Kristen interrupted, her voice calm for the first time, since Stevie opened the door. "He told me that he's never stopped loving you." Her eyes glazed over with tears.

"I-I-" Stevie stuttered, releasing the breath that got caught in her throat. A part of her felt ecstatic, but at the same time, she thought that Lindsey's actions were completely selfish. He at least should have warned her.

"He told me that you two reconnected." Kristen refused to let the tears slip. "Whatever that means." Lindsey spared her the details, but she had a pretty good idea of what that meant exactly. "Why? Just... why? Isn't your husband enough for you? Did you must steal mine as well?"

"I've never asked Lindsey to leave you, Kristen." That was Stevie's best defense, she didn't know what else to say. "Do I love him still? Yes, absolutely, but I have never in a million years thought that whatever we had on this tour, would result in divorce."

The front door opened and Don appeared. "What's going o- Kristen? What brings you here?" He obviously knew of the dislike between the two women and he stepped beside Stevie, wrapping his arm around her waist in support. "Is everything alright?"

Kristen had arrived with a completely different plan in mind. She wanted to barge into the house, find Don and call Stevie every horrible name she could think of right to his face, however, now, standing there in front of them, she felt completely overwhelmed. 

"I'm sorry, Kristen." Stevie spoke up, breaking the silence. "I think, you should go."

Trying to formulate a coherent sentence, Kristen couldn't do it. She stared at Stevie and Don for a second longer, before she turned around and walked back to her car. Don stood confused, watching Kristen pull out of the driveway, glancing at Stevie, who seemed rather concerned. 

"What the hell happened?"

"Nothing." Stevie lied and she knew he wasn't going to believe her. Lindsey's wife didn't just occasionally drop in for nothing. 

Stevie had to reach Lindsey first, before she told Don anything.