Chapter 79: Patience

Yona leaped to her feet as she saw her friend burst into the clearing. She had been gone all night and the princess was anxious to know how it went.

"Did they pass?!"

Calista nodded, still stunned by the recent events, eyes filled with relief. "Yeah, yeah, they did. They were amazing, Yona, you should have seen them!!"

"Who are you two beautiful ladies talking about?"

"None of your business, Droopy-Eyes."

He placed his hand over his heart. "Calista dear, why are you always so cold to me?"

"Because you're getting wrinkles on your forehead." She threw back bluntly.

"Eh?! That can't be true!!"

"I don't trust people who sweet talk their way out of everything."

Jae-ha smirked, twirling around. "Why Calista dear, are you jealous of the attention I give other ladies? All you had to do was ask."

Calista sneered as he elegantly took her hand, flicking the older man on the forehead before he could kiss it.

Yona tugged her cloak to get her attention, giggling at Jae-ha's small cry of pain. "What about the others? Did it work like you thought it would?"

The fighter grinned, recalling the vibrant energy that seemed to follow them wherever they went. It was foreign in the underground, but it was there that night and she couldn't be prouder of how the noble handled the situation.

She helped him through it discreetly, but he hardly needed any instruction.

"Yeah, it did. Once they saw Tae-jun and the triplets go through initiation, the others hardly needed any more convincing. They passed initiation, too, and now they're all under his orders. They did it, Yona."

The fighters she had initially recruited to help protect the citizens of the Fire Tribe were inspired by the triplets' bravery and dedication to their new master. Tae-jun was kind to them and in the heat of the moment, they joined him too. Everything fell into place.

The people left behind in the abandoned villages would be safe.

She high-fived her, but their celebration was cut short when Jae-ha caught her elbow as soon as Yona left to wake up the others and tell them the good news.

"You need to tell them." He hissed at her and she broke out of his hold.

He backed off immediately as he recalled Hak telling him how she didn't react well to being physically restrained. She didn't face him, keeping her head down and tried to walk away from him.

"No," She mumbled. "I can handle it."

Everything fell into place except for this. Of course, it was always something.

He shook his head. "Not this."

Violet eyes bore into stubborn silver orbs and she backed away.

"No." She declared with finality.

I can't involve them, they'll get hurt.

"Good, you're back." Yoon's sharp voice cut through the tension, and the two stepped away from each other. "Watch this while I go fetch some water from the river."

Calista took one look at the bubbling pot, and shuffled her feet nervously. "Maybe I should go with you..."

He shook his head, making the feathers in his hair dance. "Kija is coming with me since he can carry it all in one trip, so stay here and watch that."