Chapter 3: Reunion

Hiryuu Castle was saturated with festive reds and shimmering golds in honor of Princess Yona's sixteenth birthday. 

It had been just over a week since Calista returned from the mission, and the bruises on her wrists and ankles from the shackles were finally starting to heal. They were no longer a deep purple, but now sported a green hue. She replaced her bandages everyday, but due to her limited supply, she couldn't change them as often as they needed to be. She made do with what she had, though.  The scarlet slashes that decorated her back had finally scarred over, but just barely. They were healing, but not nearly fast enough. 

Her master had ordered for a small escort to the castle for Princess Yona's 16th birthday, only taking with him a handful of guards and instructing Calista to play both her roles.

She gritted her teeth, she knew he was testing her.

There was no way she could play the part of his escort and his bodyguard at the same time. One of them, if not both, would not be up to par, and it would leave too much time in between for someone to figure it out, raising suspicion that she was somehow more than just a pretty thing on his arm.

But she didn't argue, Calista merely bowed her head in acceptance and had prepared for the long journey to the castle. He had given her clothes that weren't too heavily embroidered, the detail only noticeable close up, versatile enough for her to use in guarding him from far away and blending in with the nobles in large crowds.

Normally, she would follow them from a distance on foot, but with her extensive injuries, her master offered her to ride with him. Calista declined, knowing that if she took that route, she would likely have to stay directly by his side the entire time they were at the castle and would be unable to slip away. Not particularly in the mood to be in such a familiar, helpless position, the assassin promised to not fall behind, and her master reluctantly agreed. She loosened the black cloth tied around her neck and slipped it over her face, so that only her eyes were visible. 

She couldn't help her excitement thrumming through her veins.

After all this time, she finally got to see Hak, her younger brother, and Yona, her childhood friend. 

The minute Lord Soo-won stopped within Kuuto's border; he gave an imperceptible nod to Calista. With that silent order, she took to the rooftops to scout. It was early in the morning, the sun hadn't even risen yet and many citizens were still asleep, unaware of the masked assassin as she crept silently from the high vantage points in waiting. Her master always preferred her to keep watch over him from a distance, not wanting her presence to interfere with his affairs.

Calista darted from the rooftop, speeding lightly across the shingles, before leaping and ducking down into a dimly lit alleyway. She held her breath, eyes scanning for signs of movement, before moving into view. 

Calista glanced up as she came face to face with the Sky Clan's general, General Han Joo-doh. She tripped but caught her footing in time before face-planting on the ground. The raven-haired assassin looked at him sheepishly as he rolled his eyes at her.

"Catch up with Lord Soo-won," A flicker of annoyance crossed his face, "Don't leave his side."

Calista nodded firmly, blending in with the early rays of morning as best as she could, the girl moved quickly towards the castle.

Her master had already ran into the princess when she got there. She smiled slightly, watching their brief exchange from her position in a tree in the courtyard. Princess Yona pouted as her cousin brushed her off, hurrying off to find Hak and the Wind Tribe's former general, Mun-dok, who had looked after him fondly since the lord was a child. Swinging down from her perch swiftly, Calista landed lightly in front of the princess, who jumped, startled by her entrance.