Chapter 30: Looking for Ryokuryuu

"It's morning!" Calista heard Yona holler excitedly, causing the assassin to groan tiredly. "Kija, how are you feeling?" The princess asked, bounding over to the rising dragon.

The assassin yawned, rubbing her eyes. As she slowly came to, she realized that sometime during last night someone had braced her up against a tree.

Shin-ah...

She ran a hand over the white fur that blanketed her form, and looked around for him, only to realize that he was lying not too far away from her feet. He was curled up in a ball, and her small smile twisted into a frown as she saw him shaking. He was cold.

Mentally scolding him in her mind, she secured it to the back of his mask just as he was beginning to wake up.

Calista adjusted the fur over his shoulders so that it flowed down his back. "You did this?"

He nodded, rising to his feet.

"Thank you." She said sincerely. 

Shin-ah wordlessly held out his hand to her and she accepted it, letting him help her up to her feet. When he pulled up, she almost collided into him again due to his strength, but managed to catch her footing in time. She beamed up at him in thanks. 

As she flaunted over to the others, she failed to see the blush creeping up his neck.

"Kija?" Came the question again, and this time, Calista turned her gaze to him, eyes landing on his form staring off into the distance.

"..I sense.. Ryokuryuu..." He murmured.

This oughta be good...

The group packed up quickly, Yona ensuring Kija was well enough to travel, with Hak not straying too far from her side. Calista slid over to her brooding brother as he watched the princess and Hakuryuu interact.

None of them had forgotten about what happened yesterday, but a full night's rest had done them all good. She was feeling unusually refreshed.

"Your face is going to freeze like that." She teased him lightly, and Hak just scowled. Noticing his sour mood, she prodded, "Did something happen last night?"

Hak's shoulders deflated. "She asked me to call her princess, even though everyone else can call her by her name." His hand reached up to tug on his dark locks. "She asked me not to forget that she's King Il's daughter."

That must've happened after she fell asleep.

"You seem a little upset." Calista commented gently.

"I will never forget that she's His Majesty's daughter." He responded, looking up at the bright morning sky.

He didn't say anything further, but Calista knew better than to tease him right now. She had spent enough time observing people to know that he didn't want to admit what he was feeling to himself, let alone to her. Calista slowed her steps, letting Yoon take her place as he directed the Thunder Beast where he wanted to go. She fell in stride beside Shin-ah.

"Did you sleep okay? You weren't too cold, were you?"

He shook his head and she gave him a disapproving look, knowing that he was lying.

"You were shaking last night."

He tripped, and she caught his arm to steady him. "Are you alright?"

"...let's take a detour along the mountains. Shin-ah!" Yoon called from up ahead, diminishing the opportunity for him to answer her. "Can you see if this road is clear for us to travel on?"