Chapter 70: Unwelcome Newcomers

"Wait, I meant 'didn't'!! I don't feel that way anymore!!" Calista hastily corrected the last part to past tense when Yona burst into tears and Hak smacked her over the head.

"Ow, ow, ow!! Okay, ouch!! What the heck, Marshy, that hurt!!"

Her brother's eyes were dark. "Don't speak so carelessly then, Bat-Ears."

She stopped rubbing the sore spot on her head when she spotted all of their saddened expressions.

"Yah, I meant I used to not care!! I care now because of all of you, but I didn't before— Ack, Hak!! That hurts!!"

Waving her hands frantically to create to some distance, her gaze darted around nervously as they all closed in on her. 

"Take it back, Calista." Kija glowered, no trace of his usual optimism anywhere to be seen.

"Wah, Kija!! What are you doing?!?!" She shrieked as his claw grew twice its normal size.

Jae-ha had a dangerous look in his eye. "Who made you feel this way, Calista dear? It's very important you answer this for me."

"... I really rather not."

"Miss Notch doesn't realize how much she means to everybody!!" Zeno cheered, dissipating the tense atmosphere almost instantly. 

After reassuring the princess that she genuinely didn't mean what she had accidentally said, Yona was convinced and cheered up. They went off to their assigned posts after Yoon had given her a very thorough lecture, one she had barely listened to until he hit her over the head. 

Then, she listened very attentively. 

She had been going around, assisting the elderly and fixing their houses, tending to their needs while Zeno kept the children occupied with games.

Hak went with Yona to Shuu Village, and the last she heard was that Jae-ha went to go check on Shin-ah to make sure he was alright. Because he was pretty far away, the green dragon could get to him in a heartbeat with his leg, so he was the best choice out of all of them.

Calista's head snapped towards the sounds of a racket being kicked up, quickly tying her mask over her face. Darting lightly across the crumbling shingles, she clambered down once she saw a group of people heading her way. The violent shouts that followed made her brow crease in fury as she saw the helpless villagers getting pushed around.

Fire Tribe soldiers...

They knew they would be back, and they were only lucky it was today and not yesterday. She focused on the sounds of the skirmish, waiting for a hiccup in their attacks before she made her move. 

What she didn't expect was the sound of a pebble hitting one of their helmets, along with a very determined yet small shout of, "Get out of Katan Village!!"

She admired the little girl's bravery, but feared for her safety. Flashes of Tae-sik slipping through her grasp flew through her mind, and she pushed it back, trying to maintain a clear conscience.

"Don't!!" Calista peered around the corner to see Yoon grab the child to stop her from doing anything else to the officers. "You have to go hide!!"

He caught her eye past their ranks and she silently told him to keep still.

Neither of them made a move and she followed Yoon's eyes as he stiffened, trying to determine the source of his agitation. Then, she noticed the gold thread on the robe of the one the little girl threw a rock at.

He's a noble...

She cursed inwardly. If there was a noble among the soldiers and not just an ordinary official, then they were in trouble. News of their appearance as bandits had probably reached them, and she could only guess that they were here to subdue them.