CHAPTER TEN

NUMBER FIVE

"Klaus?" Bridget silently knocks on his brother's room then opened it. She saw him staring out of nowhere, "Klaus?"

The atmosphere was depressing. It is obvious on the man's face that he's going through something right now. And she wants to comfort him. Her brother.

"Klaus." She again called him as by now, he finally looked up at her, "Five said you just got here. How are you?"

"Hey..." Klaus takes a deep breath, "Bridget."

The redhead knew. She knew that something was off. Ever since they were kids, the boy always called her in such ridiculous nicknames and when something's wrong, he just called her by her plain name. So, she already knew.

"Is something wrong?" She asked worriedly as she sat next to him. He still looking to nowhere and he seems sad and... in anguish.

"I'm okay." Klaus just answered and Bridget let out a sigh before putting her hand on the man's shoulder, "I know you, Klaus. You called me just my name if there's something that wasn't right. So, come on, tell me. I'm here to listen."

Klaus nodded, "I-I lost someone."

Bridget gasps, "Oh. I'm⸺ I'm so sorry, Klaus."

Klaus just nodded and itch so badly, "After you fought those psychos, they took me. They tortured me for information I don't even know. And⸺  And this detective, she saved me. And by just I was escaping I saw a briefcase and took it. I thought there were some jewelry or things that I can pawn but instead... when I opened it... it took me to a timeline... a timeline where I met him. Dave. We both fought on a Vietnam war and... he died⸺  saving lives."

Bridget just watched her brothers as she put her hand on his back for comfort. She always does that when for comfort after the old man locked Klaus for hours in a dark room.

"Klaus..." Bridget began, "It's gonna be alright. You got time to met him, to be with him even if it was a short span of time. I'm sorry for your loss, Klaus. But I know he's happy dying to save the country." As she embraces her brother because she knew he needed it badly.

Klaus hugged her back and let out hurtful sobs. Bridget doesn't care if her clothes were not full of tears as long as Klaus was gonna be alright.

"Thank you." Klaus began, "You always comforted after all those traumas that the old man gave to me. And⸺ And for saving my life seventeen years ago..." He chuckles sadly, "You and Dave are heroes."

"You're my brother, Klaus. And you have a right to be saved by me or by Dave. I know he's happy up there."

Klaus smiled at her, a genuine one, "I love you, sis."

"I love you too, Klaus." She smiled softly at him. She doesn't know when but she's sure that he will be better. Even Bridget doesn't experience love in a romantic way, her love for her siblings is most of her priority.

"I'm ten months older than Five now."

"You okay?" Diego asked his brother Klaus. They were now in his car, driving to whatever where.

Klaus doesn't answer him and just drank from his bottle of alcohol. Bridget just let out a sigh.

"Wow. This is a first. My brother Klaus is silent." Diego sarcastically remarked.

Bridget glared at him, "Diego, stop talking."

Diego ignored the redhead and continued to talk, "Last time you were this quiet, we were twelve."

Bridget smiled at the memory, "Klaus ran down the stairs wearing Mom's heels, he tripped over and broke his jaw."

Diego smiled at her in a rear mirror, "How long was the wire shut again?"

"Eight weeks." Klaus breathed out, still leaning on the side window, looking depressed.

"Eight glorious weeks of bliss." Diego told him as Klaus just notices something, "Hey, just... just drop me off here."

The Hargreeves siblings looked at the shop. It was for veterans. Suddenly, Bridget understands him. Klaus gave the redhead a weak smile and she smiled back, a small smile and a sigh.

"You sure you okay, man?" Diego said but Klaus already shut off the door and walked away.

"It was for veterans." Diego told Bridget.

The redhead just sighs, "Yeah. I mean, Uh, we shouldn't leave him here?"

Diego nodded as they both walked out of the car and entered the bar where Klaus went. They saw Klaus on the veteran's photographs, crying.

Diego put his hand on Klaus' shoulder and the man quickly notices, "I've forgotten..."

"Not until you talk to us." Diego told him.

Klaus stopped from wiping his tears away, "Is that a threat?" Still not looking at them, "You threatening me?"

"Hey, guys." A man behind them spoke as Bridget and Diego looked at the man, "This bar? It's for vets only."

"I am a vet." Klaus spoke up and Bridget knew that there was a storm coming.

The man chuckles, "Really? Where'd you serve?"

"None of your business." Klaus sneered as Bridget mentally facepalms.

"You got balls comin' in here, pretending you're one of us." The man stated, with a hint of arrogance on his voice. Bridget fights the urges to burn the man.

"Oh, I have every right to be here, just like you." Klaus turns around, "Asshole."

Bridget and Diego immediately stopped the man from attacking their brother, "Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, Whoa. Hey, slow down, Marine. All right?" Bridget nodded, "Yeah. Our brother's just had a few too many. We'll just go," She reasoned.

"Sure thing." The man answered.

Bridget let out a sigh of relief, "Thank you kindly."

Diego started to call Klaus but the vet cuts him off, "As long as you apologize." The vet told Klaus.

Klaus giggles while looking at the photographs. Diego and Bridget looked at the man, "Fine. I'm sorry. He's sorry. She's sorry. We're all sorry. So... are we good?"

The vet pointed out to Klaus, "I wanna hear him say it."

"Sir⸺"

Klaus cuts Bridget off, "No, no. He's right, Diego, Bri. He's right. He's right." Klaus turns around, "I'd like to apologize... that you... are depriving some village of their idiot!"

The vet attempts to attack Klaus but the man quickly ducked down. The vet pushes him as Klaus' stumble to the ground. Bridget couldn't hold back any longer as she punches the guy when Klaus was stumbled to the ground. No one could hurt her brother.