CHAPTER FIVE

RUN BOY RUN❞

17 YEARS AGO...

The bell indicating that it's mealtime has rung as the Eight Hargreeves children quickly moved to their places. They're all standing as they wait for their father's arrival. Sir Reginald entered the room and stood at the head of the table as Vanya was into the opposite end. Bridget was on the left side of her father alongside Luther, Diego, and Five.

Sir Reginald gazes to each of them, "Sit." As the children oblige and began eating.

The redhead girl looked at her brother Five who's just looking at their father. And she knew, something was off.

Soon enough, Five stabbed his knife into the table, making his seven siblings including his father looked at him as he pulled his hand away, glaring at Sir Reginald.

"Number Five?" Their father questioned.

"I have a question." Five spoke in his normal sarcastic voice. Bridget exactly knew what it was. They were both talking about it the other day.

"Knowledge is an admirable goal, but you know the rules. No talking during mealtime. You are interrupting Herr Carlson."

"I want to time-travel." Five sternly stated, "No." Sir Reginald said.

Five's eyes narrowed, "But I'm ready. I've been practicing my spatial jumps, just like you said." He stood up and jumped to his father's side, "See?"

Bridget slowly shook her head at him but ignored. As she was still staring at his brother while the others turn back to their meals.

Sir Reginald gazes upon Five, "A spatial jump is trivial when compared with the unknowns of time-travel. One is like sliding along the ice, the other is akin to descending blindly into the depths of the freezing water and appearing as an acorn."

Five frowned, "Well, I don't get it."

"Hence the reason you're not ready."

"I'm not afraid." Five defended himself.

"Fear isn't the issue. The effects it might have on your body, even on your mind, are far too unpredictable. Now, I forbid you to talk about this anymore."

Five glared at his father one last time and turned as he walked away.

"Number Five!" Sir Reginald called, "You haven't been excused."

Bridget was attempting to follow Five as Sir Reginald's gaze turn to her, "Don't, Number Zero. It's his choice. Leave him be."

The redhead glared at the old man before following her brother, "Screw you."

"Five! Five!" She found the boy leaving, "Five, wait!"

The boy looked at her, confused. "Bri, what are you doing here?"

"You don't need to do this, Five. We can come back inside. Five... If anything happens⸺"

Five cuts him off, "Nothing bad will happen to me. I assure you, Bri."

Bridget shook her head, "No. At least, let me come with you. You can't be alone, Five. I'm here. I'm your sister."

This time, it was Five's turn to shook his head in disagreement, "You can't. I want to do this. I'm sorry, but alone. I'm sorry to leave you, but I don't know how long till I come back."