Chapter 11

After attacking Sakura, I head back to the clearing where Naruto and Sasuke are still training. I mask my chakra and sneak up the back of Sasuke's tree when he's not looking. Even from the top of the tree, I can tell the boys are worn out.

"One more time, Sasuke! This time I'll beat you for sure! Believe it!" Let's hope they both get to the top, otherwise I won't be able to freak out Sasuke.

Sasuke grunts like usual and then says, "We'll see about that." Well, at least he didn't outright insult Naruto, right?

The two boys run up their trees, shaking them slightly as they go. There's a fierce look of determination shining in Sasuke's charcoal eyes. It looks like he actually having fun. Scary...

Sasuke gets closer by the second but still doesn't realize I'm there. He's a bit ahead of Naruto and jumps from the trunk onto the plume of leaves at the top of the tree.

"Ha, take that, loser."

"That wasn't very nice," I whisper into his ear, surprising him. He shivers as my breath falls on the back of his shirt.

He spins around and jumps back, facing me now. "What are you doing, Ayaka? You're supposed to be guarding the bridge with Sakura."

"She can take care of it herself, plus they aren't going to attack today." I can feel the confidence radiating off of my body.

"How do you know that?" Naruto asks, jumping from the top of his tree over to this one.

"Yeah, how do you know that?" Sasuke asks suspiciously. I see his body tense up and his hand move slowly to his weapons pouch. That hurts, Sasuke. Why don't you trust me?

"Well," I start, "If I did as much damage as you guys say I did, then it would take him at least another two days of resting before being able to strike again. And, now that he's seen that form of me, he'll be a bit more wary to attack."

Sasuke calms down and let's his hand fall away from his weapons pouch. "You know," I say, placing my hands firmly on my hips, "It's a bit insulting how easily you turned on me. I thought we were better friends than that." I pout at him sillily.

"Well," Sasuke grumbles, "Think again." He leaps over the edge of the tree top, disappearing from sight.

I stand there, staring blankly at the spot where he had just been standing. Naruto approaches, waving his hand nervously. "He didn't mean that, Ayaka! We are your friends! Believe it!" He trys to hug me, but I shove him off.

I fall to my knees, my eyes shutting. There's a sharp pain in my chest, a pain I haven't felt since my parents left. Rejection. Dammit. I shouldn't have grown attached. All things end, one day or another, and after each ending you will always feel that same hole in your chest. I never want it to be there again.

I can feel the tears begin to form in my eyes as I convince myself to separate myself from the team. I will not cry, I will not cry, I-

"I've gotta go." I leave Naruto watching after me as I travel deeper into the forest, each leap causing more and more tears to flow.