Chapter 4

After I finish feeding my team, Kakashi reappears and tells us that we've all passed and can continue to train as ninja. We begin doing missions around the village, like walking dogs, gardening, and, for our most recent mission, finding the lost cat of some fat rich lady.

"We need some tougher missions!" Naruto screams at the Hogake. For once, I find myself agreeing with the idiot.

"You are getting missions that correspond with your rank!" Iruka, who is sitting with the Hogake, shouts back. "And don't yell at your elders, maggot!"

I watch the scene unfold from a wall on the other side of the room, refusing to allow people to think I know those crazy genins. Somehow or another, Naruto manages to convince both Iruka and the Hogake that we are capable of taking on a C ranked mission. The Hokage calls someone into the room and as the doors open, an old man steps out.

"Who's the short one with the funny lookin' face?" I think this man is stupider than Naruto.

"Haha, which one of you is he talking about?" Naruto looks around, noticing that both Sasuke and Sakura are taller than him and that I'm not there, he comes to a realization. "I'll demolish you!" I was wrong about the old man. No one is stupider that Naruto.

I prepare to defend the man but Kakashi steps in first, grabbing Naruto and explaining how he can't demolish the client.

"So, what's our mission?" I walk forward, allowing the grumpy man to notice my presence.

"Who the hell is this twerp?" He yells.

"My name is Ayaka Hara and I would prefer it if you didn't refer to me as a twerp. I'm a part of this team and if you expect us to help you, you will treat us with respect. Now, what are we supposed to do with you?"

The man stares at me, dumbfounded. The Hogake steps forward, potentially stopping any more fights from breaking out. "This is Tasuna of the Land if the Waves. You are to escort him back to his home so he can complete the bridge that is going to connect his island to the mainland."

I open my mouth to say something, but Kakashi interrupts. "Great, we'll leave immediately. Everyone, go pack your supplies and meet at the front gate in an hour, okay?" The team mumbles their responses before darting out of the room.

I follow behind, walking slowly and examining everything as I go. "Ayaka! You might want to hurry up! You've only got an hour!" Kakashi can be so annoying sometimes.

"I'm not like the others," I shout back, "I don't have very much to choose from, outfit or weapon wise." With that, I bolt away, leaving him staring after me, once again with pity in his eyes.

I stare sadly at my little apartment. The grey walls are not covered in posters and the cold floor has never seen a rug before. I open the small chest at the end of my bed. There's a few weapons and scrolls I can use, but once I'm out, it'll be a while before I can get more.

When I was in the academy, it was easier to make ends meet. I would do jobs around town that no one else wanted to do and use the pay from that to buy food. I didn't have to buy weapons because I could use school issued ones. And I bought my apartment with the money my parents left, so I didn't, and still don't, have to pay rent. But now that I have to buy my weapons and food, I can't afford very much.

I shove all of my weapons and scrolls into a pouch and move on to my closet. There are three more of my ninja uniform and on pair of pajamas hanging on the rack. I take all of those and place them in my backpack.

I then move to the refrigerator. Inside, there's an almost empty gallon of milk and a bag of lunch meat, ham to be exact. Thank god I'm going to this dude's house. Maybe he'll have the decency to feed his escorts. I shove both items into a sack and place an ice pack in with them. Well, I guess it's time to go.