Chapter 29

"Wh-" Blondie stammers, "What the hell are you?"

"I'm a monster."

"L- Like Gaara?"

I let out a low growl. "No. He's no monster. He is a carrier. I am the monster." I bring up my hand, ready to smash it down on the sand ninja. I let it drop, and it crashes to the ground.

Blondie screams and jumps away as it lands right next to her. As I pull my hand away, I notice a small crater below it. My wicked grin widens.

I lock my eyes onto Blondie and prepare to leap. As I jump, she stands there, wide-eyed and unmoving, unable to get away.

"Bye-bye, Blondie." I push off the ground, launching myself at her. When I'm about three feet away, I stop in midair and fall towards the ground. Well, most of me does. My foot is caught in a ring of sand. Dammit, Gaara.

I struggle against my restraint, trying to beak free, but it only tightens. When the pain of the ring get nearly unbearable I stop struggling and yell instead.

"Where are you, coward?" I shout, my monstrous voice ripping through the forest. "Show yourself so I can rip you to shreds!"

The ring dissolves and I fall the rest of the way. When I try to stand up my leg gives way. I can't stand on that ankle.

I look around the clearing. Gaara still isn't showing himself. It's just me and Blondie. She won't try and keep my here so I figure it's a good time to get back to my team. I don't feel I'd be able to take Gaara if I got the chance, so I've got to train until I can. I limp off into the forest, slowly shifting back to my human form.

"Where the hell have you been?" Sakura demands as I sit down. I keep silent. It's none of her business where I've been. Or what happened while I was there.

"Fine! Keep quiet! I don't care. It's not like we were worried or anything..." Her loud rants slowly transform into low mutters as she sits down next to me. "...Just don't do it again."

Sasuke enters the small campsite, obviously coming back from a scouting trip. "Still no sign of-" His eyes meet mine. "Ayaka."

"Hey," I mutter, still angry about running from Gaara. Why couldn't I have beaten him?

"Where've you been?" He asks, quite angry but not screaming like Sakura.

"I already tried," Sakura butts in. "She's not going to tell you."

"I was with the sand ninja."

Sasuke glares at me, his eyes burning with some sort of fire. He stomps away after a while, leaving me confused and somewhat frustrated. Why does he care who I was with?