Chapter 24

"The tenth question was just a test to see if you would risk your careers to finish your mission. You all passed."

I stare at Ibiki, dumbfounded. Why didn't I pick up on that? I'm never tricked.

Gaara let's out a "hmph" and smirks. Damn him. Why is he acting all high and mighty?

All of a sudden, the window smashes open. A woman flies through, wearing a smile that oozes with confidence.

"... Am I too early?"

"Just a bit Anko."

"Oh well. Alright, everybody!" She turns her attention to the younger ninja. "The name's Anko Mitarashi and I'm the instructor for the next challenge, so y'all better listen up!"

Why is everyone I know so freaking annoying?

Basically, what Anko says is that we have to be at training ground 44, aka the Forest of Death, by noon tomorrow. Of course, she says it in a way that takes up an hour of my time.

When we're finally released from our instructors' grasps, I get outside as fast as I can. It's too tense in that room. I felt like it was going to melt my skin away. Ew.

We walk down the street, my team and I, when I stop. Something's wrong. There's a low growling sound coming from nearby. I go on high alert mode, readying myself for battle.

Then, my teammates start laughing. What?

"If you're that hungry, we can go get you some food," Sakura says.

"I'm not hungry." I had yogurt for breakfast as usual. I would like to have had more, but I can't waste what little money I have.

"Well," Naruto says between laughs, "Your stomach's growling like crazy, so I'm pretty sure you're hungry."

They're making fun of me. "I'm not hungry!"

"Let's go to the ramen stand! I'm hungry too!"

They'll make fun of me when I can't pay for myself. "I'm going home." I walk off, leaving them staring after.

I lay on my bed, staring at the ceiling. My stomach growls again. "Shut up," I moan. "You're not getting food again till dinner." I should be training for the seconds round. That'll get my mind off of food.

At the usual training ground, someone's already there. A man. An unfamiliar man. He's standing in the middle of the clearing, his eyes closed and his head tilted towards the ground.

I sneak around him, keeping my chakra levels hidden. I climb into a tree and watch. What's he going to do?

All of a sudden, a kunai comes flying straight at me. I barely have time to catch it before it would've hit me. Crap.

"Who are you?" The man asks. "Come out of there, or I'll have to kill you." Dammit. I don't want to fight him and I can't risk being hurt before the next round.

I leap out of the tree, landing in front of him as he walks forward. "Who are you?" He asks, his hand moving towards another kunai.

"My name is Ayaka Hara of the Village Hidden in the Leaves. May I ask your name?"

"I have many names, but you may call me Taka." Hawk?

Taka, for some reason doesn't look me in the eyes as he talks. As I peer up at them, I see why.

"Are... Are you blind, Taka?"

His frown changes to a smirk. "Yes, since birth. That's why I was able to find you. Any seeing person may not have noticed, but a blind person, such as myself, would've heard you coming from a mile away."

Then I notice the sun beginning to set. Crap. "I have to go. I'm really sorry, but I was nice meeting you, Taka!" I shout behind me as I run off.

In my apartment, my stomach growls again. I let out a sigh and open my fridge. No food. Why is there no food?

"No dinner tonight, stomach." I lay down on my bed and try to go to sleep, but something keeps me awake. A small tapping at my window. Every few seconds it will tap, and then go away.

Getting annoyed with it, I open the window and scan the street below. There's a dark haired boy in the center of the street, his arm pulled back as if ready to throw another rock. "Let me in."

"Why are you hear, Sasuke?" I ask as I close the door behind him.

"I brought you dinner. You were hungry earlier, and no matter how much you deny it, I know you still are. We've got a test tomorrow and we can't have you passing out in the middle of it." He shoves a bag into my arms. Inside are a few store bought, already prepared lunch boxes, and a bag of cookies.

I look up at him. He's looking around my small apartment, but meets my eyes when I look at him. "Th- Thanks, Sasuke," I mutter turning away. I feel like I'm blushing, but I don't know why.

"No problem. Do you want me to stay here while you eat?"

"Uh... N- No. I'm good." I smile at him. Oh god. What's happening to me?

"Oh. Ok then. I'll see you tomorrow, Ayaka." He places his hand on my head as he walks out, and I feel my face go even redder. What the hell is happening to me?