Chapter 5

I arrive at the front gate and notice that there's no one else there. I check the time, it's five minutes after the time that Kakashi told us to show up. Did they leave without me or am I just early? I begin to mentally freak out. Am I really that invisible? Did they know I wasn't there and then leave anyway? Do they hate me like mom and dad did? Why did mom and dad hate me? I know, I was different. I couldn't stop myself. I was worthless. I deserve to-

"Hey." I look up from the position I had fallen to on the ground. Sasuke is standing there, examining me as if I'm a freak. Maybe I am a freak.

"Why were you crying?" What's he talking about? I touch my fingers to my cheeks where a warm liquid covers them. Oh, I was crying. I can't tell him why, he'll hate me like my parents did.

I pull myself off the ground and smirk at him, trying to hide the sorrow that lingers in my eyes. "I was just trying to see if you had some form of emotion, which you obviously do. You can drop the tough guy act, you know, at least when you're around me."

He stares at me, his eyes still filled with questions, but only grunts in response before turning away.

I let out a sigh and wipe off my face. I find it funny how I told him to drop the act when I'm really the one who's acting. I lean against a nearby tree and wait for the rest of my team to show up.

"Alright! Let's go!" Naruto shouts enthusiastically.

"Calm down Naruto," Sakura lectures, "We can't go yet because Ayaka isn't here yet."

"Yeah she is," Sasuke states blandly.

Sakura open her mouth to correct him, but after realizing who had spoken, she shuts it.

I stare from my spot under the tree at the dark haired boy. He had remembered I was there. He turns his head and looks straight at me, his charcoal eyes staring deep into my soul. I look away and pick myself up from the ground. "Yeah, I'm here," I say, yawning.

"You couldn't have shown yourself earlier when we were first ready to go?" Stupid old man, I don't have to do anything you want. I'm my own person.

"Okay everybody, calm down. It's time to head out," Kakashi says, moving towards the gate.

We walk for what seems like days before I notice something peculiar on the ground. Why is there a puddle? It hasn't rained in ages. I look at Kakashi to see that he's already looking at me. He gives a slight nod of his head before turning his attention back to the rest of the group.

I slow my pace, allowing myself to gradually slip away from the rest of the team before moving into the woods. I follow the team without being noticed by any of them. They reach a small clearing and I see movement from the other side of the path. They're under attack.

The ninja jump at my team. Sakura stands to protect Tasuna and Naruto freezes up. Kakashi is the first to be attacked, but right when his body is split in two, he uses a substitution justu.

"So," Kakashi say from behind me. "Are you going to help them or just sit here like an idiot?"

I smirk at my sensei, " I'll help them, I just need to wait for the right time."

I notice that Naruto is still frozen in place. One of the ninja decides that he's the next target and goes after him. Normally, I would move to save my teammate, but I get the feeling that I won't have to. Sasuke jumps in at the last second, sending the ninja flying with a kick to the head after he just barely nicks Naruto on the hand with his blade finger things.

The other ninja decides to take his chances with Sasuke. He backs the dark haired boy up against a tree and begins to lash out at him. Sasuke dodges skillfully but can't get out of the larger boy's reach.

"Where is Ayaka when we need her?" Sakura yells.

Now. I leap down from the tree and barrel the ninja in the ground. Sasuke looks at me and smirks. "You couldn't have done that sooner?"

"Nope," I smirk back, "Timing is everything." The ninja gets up, sputtering from the amount of dirt his face had been shoved into, and begins his attack again. This time, Sasuke and I work as a team.

We push the two ninja back against a tree before linking their arms together with a shuriken and then pinning that to the tree with a kunai. The ninja are left defenseless and Kakashi decides to reveal himself.

"Kakashi-sensei!" Sakura squeals, "But you were killed!" Her idiocy is starting to get to me.

"He used the substitution justu, genius." I roll my eyes as the startled pinkette glares at me.

"Well, why wouldn't he just help us?" I'm surprised she was able to become a genin.

"I needed to see who the ninja were after. I had to determine wether or not they were just bandits looking for something to do or trained ninja with an actual goal." Thanks for clearing that up, Kakashi.

"Hey, sensei, shouldn't you have a look at Naruto's hand? He kind of got stabbed." This perks Kakashi up. Am I seriously the only one who pay attention to anything around here?

Kakashi looks over Naruto's hand and then looks back up to us. "It's poisoned. We should return home and get him to a doctor. Plus, we aren't capable of taking on this mission anyway. It's mostly likely a B or A ranked mission."

"But think about why he chose to make it a C ranked," I point out, "His village most likely can't afford a higher ranked mission and if we don't go, they could all die!"

"How would they die? He's just building a bridge." Dang it, Sakura! Shut up!

"People don't just build massive bridges like that for no reason! He's gotta have some goal besides making it easier to travel!" Everyone is staring at me like I'm a complete lunatic. Everyone except Naruto.

"I swear, by the pain in my hand, I will not spot the completion of this mission!" Naruto screams as he brings a kunai down on his hand, digging into his wound. He turns back to us, a wicked grin on his face. "Who's ready to kick some butt?" Everything falls silent.

Kakashi is the first to speak. "Naruto, it's great and all that you stabbed yourself to get the poison out, but now you could seriously bleed to death." Stop being so calm, Kakashi!

And now it's time for Naruto to freak out! But, he doesn't freak out for long. Something calms him down, and, from the peek that I got at his hand, it looks like there's not a wound on his hand anymore. Whoa.

"All right, Tasuna, we'll take you as far as your village and then we're heading home, alright?" Thank you so much Kakashi!