Chapter 8

Sakura and I catch on to the whole tree climbing thing quickly, although I make it seem like I'm taking longer. I know that if I do get it immediately then Kakashi will make me work on the bridge as soon as possible and I don't feel ready for that yet.

I make it about halfway up the tree before I feel myself running low on chakra. I know if I push myself to hard then I'll lose control again and I can't let that happen. I decide to take a quick nap to refresh myself.

I lay down at the bottom of my tree and close my eyes for a second before passing out.

I'm sitting in a white space. There's no one around for a while until Kakashi appears with a monster. The monster is black with bright red orbs for eyes. It's form is constantly shifting as if it's not solid. I know this beast. It's me.

The creature runs at Kakashi and slices him in half with one swipe of its gargantuan paw. Kakashi's blood stains the white room and splatters on my face. "No."

Sakura appears in Kakashi's place. The creature brings its paw down on her as she squeals with terror. Her blood flies everywhere. "No."

Next is Naruto. His usually cheery face has been replaced with a look of pure terror. He shouts, tears steaming down his face as it bites into his side. Naruto's blood slowly leaks out of his body, pooling on the floor. "No."

Finally, Sasuke appears. He, unlike the others, turns to me. "You betrayed us, Ayaka. This is all your fault. All your fa-" The monster rips him apart before he can finish.

"No!" I shriek. I curl into a ball on the floor and grab my hair. "It's all my fault, it's all my fault, it's all my fault." I continue chanting that to myself as I rock back and forth, pulling at my dark grey hair.

My vision blurs and my position changes. I'm over the blood splatters now. I'm the monster. There's a menacing laugh coming from above me, so I look up.

My father is standing behind a glass mirror laughing with my mother. "You've grown up well," he says evilly, "You're a killing machine. But no matter what you do, you'll always be a worthless monster."

I jolt awake and hit my head on something hard. "Ouch," a familiar deep voice says. I look up to see Sasuke rubbing his head.

"What were you doing?" I ask, rubbing my head as well.

"This idiot and I were trying to train but you started screaming so we got worried and decided to check if you were okay or not. Are you okay?"

When I look at him, all I can see are his eyes filled with hatred for me, blaming the death of our friends on me. I know it was just a dream, but I can't help it.

I jump up an wrap my arms around him. His body stiffens under mine but he soon relaxes. "I'm sorry," I whisper into his ear. I feel a need to cry, but I can't do that here, not with people around.

I let go of Sasuke and give Naruto a hug as well. "What was that for?" The blonde asks.

"That was to thank you for being my friends."