Chapter 31

"Let's have some fun, shall we?" The transformation justu deactivates and we can see poser for who he really is. He might be a she. (S)he is the grass ninja with the pale face and psycho tongue from the beginning of the exam. I don't want to be anywhere near him. His eyes harden and I freeze.

A kunai is launched at me pierces me straight through the skull. I fall to my knees, my mouth open, letting out a silent cry of pain.

I can see Sasuke and Sakura on my right. They're in the same position. What did he do to us? He's going to kill us. I need to move. I can't have everyone know about my monster form, so I shouldn't use that until I absolutely have to. I just need to move out of the way.

Maybe... Maybe I can use pain to counteract the fear that he's forced onto me. My ankle. If I can do something to make the pain spike, I can save myself and maybe the others. Move.

I begin to move. I manage to stand back up and Poser looks surprised. "Oh, maybe this won't be as easy as I thought it would." Sasuke stands up beside me and manages to pull out a kunai. How is that going to help us? He can't throw it fast enough to get Poser, not like this.

Poser pulls out three kunai of his own. "I'll make sure to make your deaths quick. You have already seen it once before." I lift my foot ever so slightly. He raises the kunai. I slam my injured foot into the ground just as he throws the kunai. I leap away into the forest, away from Sasuke and Sakura. Let's hope they made it out alright.

I wait a few minutes before checking back in the clearing where Poser attacked us. They're not there anymore, dammit. I leap to the other side of the clearing, hoping that Sasuke went this way with Sakura.

There's a large crash and I jump. That's probably them. I hope they're okay. I make my way over to where I heard the crash and I see a giant snake lying on the ground, dead.

Sasuke and Poser, who's lower half seems to have extended into a snake tail, are fighting above me. Poser's got Sasuke trapped. He's going to get hurt, I can feel it. I can't let that happen.

I leap up the tree, moving as fast as I can. Poser leans back, preparing to strike. I lunge forward just as he moves toward Sasuke. I slam into him, knocking him off balance. And then, we fall.

We fall for what seems like forever, wrestling in midair. But then he grabs hold of a tree with his tail, and I grab onto him. We pull ourselves up onto the branch fighting for dominance. I make it first, using his body as a ladder.

"You seem to care a lot about Sasuke there, don't you?" He hisses.

"Of course I do," I say between pants. "He's my friend and my teammate. I'd do anything for him."

"Hmm... Such loyalty." His tongue slithers out of his mouth and around my neck. I try to move away, but my ankle give out and I end up falling down onto the branch. He chuckles menacingly.

"Ayaka!" Sasuke shouts. "Get away from him! You won't win!"

I smirk and look up at my raven haired friend. "Thanks for your support, but I've got this under control." Poser's tongue tightens around my neck.

"Get out of there! You promised me you'd stay safe!"

"I'm sorry, Sasuke. I have to break that promise." I lean to the side and fall from the branch. The tongue that I hoped would come with me, removes itself from my neck and lets me fall.