93

Hours later, once the sun had risen and Geralt had opened his eyes, Yurga called that they were nearing his home. Geralt's mind was on a one track mission; find Visenna. After that, he wasn't really sure what he'd do. He supposed he could go to Kaer Morhen, but they might not be the most accommodating to Kyana, who was from the School of Vipers. Thinking of his fiancee, Geralt cast his eyes downwards to her sleeping form. She had not moved for near enough seven hours, resting comfortably beside him.

"Mighty fine woman you got there." Yurga called from the driver's seat, however his head did not move to cast his eyes over to the pair. Geralt stayed silent, watching Kyana as her eyelids fluttered in her sleep, the corners of his lips tilting upwards. "Stayed up with you every second, all the way until you woke. Determined to keep you safe from that pack 'o ghouls, too. Never seen someone swing a sword so well." Geralt raised an eyebrow, his eyes dancing over her face. Ghouls?

"She did what?" He asked, tilting his head and sacrificing his neck's comfort to keep the rest of his body still as to leave Kyana comfy. "Ghouls? There were a couple more ghouls?" Yurga snorted, twisting his head to face Geralt and allowing the horses to steer themselves.

"A couple? You mean a pack. But you were already face down in shit by then." Geralt glared at him, while Yurga hummed in amusement. "By the looks of you, she's used to saving your arse." Geralt snorted, shifting his head so that his gaze met the road in front of him as they traveled along it. Yurga wasn't exactly wrong; without Kyana, Geralt would probably be dead.

Kyana yawned, her eyes opening to meet the early morning. Her hair was unbelievably wild as it tumbled down her back; Kyana rubbed at her eyes, yawned again, and turned her head to Geralt. She smiled a tired smile at him. Geralt tilted his head to place a kiss on her forehead. "Morning." Kyana said, her eyes staring up into the trees and observing the sky, which told her the day would be nice. Geralt watched as she sat up and attempted to run her hand through her hair, only to have it get caught in knots. Kyana sighed and picked up a brush and some mint leaves, chewing on the latter as she attempted to tame the mess of hair. "How're we doing for time, Yurga?"

Yurga shrugged, estimating the rest of their journey in his head. "Some three hours or so, depending on how long we take to feed the horses." Kyana nodded, pushing the emerald hairband into her freshly brushed and frizzy hair. Kyana shifted to unwind the bandage around Geralt's leg, inspecting the wound she had taken so long to heal. The skin had started to repair itself, cleanly and without infection, just as Kyana had hoped. She smiled and bound Geralt's leg in a new bandage, tilting her head up to speak to him. "Your leg is healing well. A week and it should be as good as new."

Geralt nodded, having noticed a significant drop in his pain when he'd woken up. Kyana shifted up to sit shoulder to shoulder with her fiancee, talking and laughing around with him to pass the time they had left to travel. Kyana always felt as though talking to Geralt for days were mere minutes, barely any time passing, yet an eternity to reality. It was like this for the remainder of the journey, and soon, as though time had clicked its fingers, they arrived at their destination; Yurga's house.

"Whoa, lads. Whoa, now." Yurga called the horses to a halt as a woman opened the door to their home. Kyana could only presume it was his wife. She was pretty, with dirty blonde hair and kind, motherly eyes.

"Yurga." She called to him, her voice sweet and soft. Kyana began to pack her things away, as well as reaching over for Geralt's bag and sword. He gave her a thankful glance, tightening the knot that had loosened around his leg. While husband and wife checked up on each other, on their son, Kyana and Geralt began mentally planning what to do next. Geralt made it his mission to tell Kyana about Visenna and the battle, yet he could not interfere with the reunion of the married couple.

"We're all okay. The war is close, but we're okay.I need to tell you something. I met a girl. An orphan,I found her in the woods nearby." Kyana's head snapped up, her eyes meeting Geralt's. They were a few hours outside of Cintra, and on a viable path where Ciri could be. Renfri's words echoed in Geralt's head, telling him that the girl in the woods will be his destiny. Geralt hopped down from the cart, followed by Kyana, who strapped her sword onto her belt.

"Lead the way." Kyana whispered to him, watching his medallion start humming as he drew nearer to Ciri. Kyana followed next to Geralt, his eyes and senses concentrated on one thing; following the pull of the bond. Into the woods they ventured, much to the protestations of Yurga, who called out for them as they walked. Kyana felt magic in the air, aiding Geralt to step over fallen trees at times when his leg was not strong enough. Still, he managed, walking steadily forwards with Kyana by his side.

Geralt stopped abruptly. His medallion had stopped humming, he could no longer feel a pull, and his determination started to sink away from him. He felt silly, quickly turning around and starting to hobble back to Yurga. Kyana stayed where she was, looking down at the floor and listening to Geralt walk away. She lifted her eyes and froze. Like a storm, one that had been suppressed for years beyond Kyana's knowledge, magic flew around her. Kyana snapped her head upwards, finding a girl walking in the distance.

Pavetta; that was her immediate thought. No, this was not Pavetta. She was too young, to wild and ragged to be Pavetta. Ciri, Kyana corrected herself. "Geralt!" Kyana called, loud and clear through the woods. He turned his head, intent on giving up his chase, when he followed her trail of sight and saw Ciri. The sun seemed to shine a little brighter in that moment as he watched Kyana sprinting, frantically towards the girl, who walked obliviously away from them. Kyana caught up with her, sliding a little as she grabbed her by the arm to halt her in her steps.

Ciri was frightened for a moment; to be grabbed by a ragged stranger in the middle of the woods. Then, when she looked again, Ciri remembered seeing her before. Her hair that had been described to her a million times, the eyes that had ballads written of them, her skin that glowed in the daylight. Ciri knew in that moment who faced her.

Ciri launched herself at Kyana, wrapping her arms around her neck and her legs around her waist. Kyana laughed, holding her tightly as she stood with Ciri in her arms. "I've finally found you." Ciri said, aware that once she had found Kyana, she had also found Geralt. Kyana nodded against her shoulder, gesturing to Geralt to come forwards and meet his child by fate.

He stepped forwards nervously, unsure of what to say or do. Ciri need not hear words, only jump down from Kyana and tackle Geralt into a hug. It surprised him, but he soon found himself holding onto her like a lifeline.

"People linked by destiny will always find each other." He said, only now beginning to believe in destiny. Kyana smiled at Ciri as she gazed back and forth between them, happy beyond words that she was safe. A question lingered in her mind, however. A question she chose to vocalise.

"Who is Yennefer?"