35

Kyana and Geralt were summoned to their newly set places next to Queen Calanthe and Pavetta. Geralt was reluctant to leave Kyana alone when she was so nervous and anxious, nevertheless, he was powerless against the Queen herself. They both sat on either side of the Queen; Geralt on her left at the end of the table and Kyana on her right, next to Pavetta. 

"Damn this cursed thing. I'd sooner see this night out in armor." Calanthe grumbled, pulling at the sleeves of her dress. Kyana and Geralt scoffed in unison.

"As would I." Both Witchers replied, speaking in synchronization. They looked at each other, heads tilting so that they could see past Calanthe. Calanthe looked between the two, a curious look about her face.  

"Indeed. Now, let's address the issue at hand instead of dodging around it like a man around war. Why did you leave, Serana?" Calanthe asked immediately, heading straight to the point.

"Leave? I didn't leave willingly. King Dagorad threw me from the castle." Kyana replied, her eyebrows gently furrowed. "Did he tell you I chose to leave?" Calanthe nodded slowly, angry with the lie that had been fed to her. Dagorad filled her head with tales of how Kyana had betrayed them and ran away, influencing her to hate the sister she so vaguely remembered with lies and fabrications.

"He told me you left us. He never said why." Calanthe began to understood she was the one manipulated all along, that her hate and anger was harbored falsely. "Why didn't you come back?"

Kyana huffed a humorless laugh. "Mother would have thrown me out in fear of your father, you wouldn't know different to what your father told you. I was scared you would see me and want me dead." Kyana glanced at Pavetta. "When I heard you gave birth I did come. I came to the public christening, watched from afar for a few weeks. Your life seemed well, and I didn't want to waltz back in and take that from you."

Calanthe stared at her. "You're royal, Serana. You could have enough money to never have to work again. Why not come?"

"Being a Witcher has always been an unfortunate way of life, but the things I've done through being a Witcher, the people I've met, I would never give it up. Not for coin or the entire Continent." Kyana stated surely. "It's part of the reason I didn't want to come back."

Calanthe rolled her eyes. She didn't understand why Kyana gave up the opportunity to be a royal in order to remain a Witcher. Still, she accepted her reasons, and agreed to be civilized to her half sister. For the time being. "However much I resent to hear what you say, sister, I will accept it. You loved your life; that is a blessing as a royal." Calanthe allowed, dismissing the conversation between them. "Tell me, how does a Witcher" Calanthe addressed Geralt. "find himself at my daughter's wedding feast dressed like a..." She couldn't find the right words, instead laughing at how ridiculous he looked to her. 

"We're protecting the bard from vengeful royal cuckolds." Kyana allowed a small laugh to slip through her lips at the small insult, but covered it through drinking from her goblet. Kyana quickly grimaced at the taste. 

"Idiots, the lot of them." Calanthe hummed. "Still, I'm glad of your company, which could prove handy. I have no doubt blood will spill here tonight." Geralt rose an eyebrow, surprise fluttering in his eyes for a small moment. 

"Ah, save the good Queen's breath. I'm not for hire as a bodyguard." Calanthe looked confused, motioning to Jaskier. 

"You were hired just so by the bard." Geralt hummed softly, a small smile appearing on his lips when he remembered Kyana silently scolding him with her eyes if he denied Jaskier. 

"I'm helping the idiot free of his coin. He is a dear friend of Serana's." He spoke teasingly, knowing that Kyana couldn't flick a grape at him as she wanted to.