54

Years later, after some time travelling and hunting, Geralt and Kyana stumbled upon a job, a rather small one, all be it, but a job nevertheless. They left Jaskier in the hands of the two men who had employed them to get rid of the creature, who sat comfortably on a rock, lute in hand and lyrics falling from his lips. 

The men became impatient, having recognized the hour long wait they had already endured. "It's been an hour." One said. "Let's get on before the beast gets hungry again." The other, who clearly had a better moral grasp, replied with conviction in his voice. 

"But we made a deal." He insisted. His companion scoffed, walking towards Roach and Pegasus to grasp onto some of their belongings.

"We made a deal with living Witchers, no point hanging around to pay dead ones." The man excused himself, strapping equipment onto his friend's back. Jaskier, having seen what they were doing, cursed and shot up, his lute going over his shoulder to leave his hands free. 

"Bollocks, oi! No, no no you stop that, or I'll-" Jaskier became lost for words, having said something to stop them, his brain now ran with possibilities on what to do. 

"Or you'll what? Sing us to death?" As if Jaskier had been blessed, a man came forward from behind him, with two beautiful women following behind. The man was elderly, around seventy years old, with light skin and gentle eyes. His companions were much younger, with beautiful dark skin and strong physiques. 

"Perhaps you did not hear the man." The elder started. Jaskier stepped back, a hand on his hip as he grinned for the defense. 

"Yeah, perhaps  you didn't-" Jaskier cut himself off, turning his gaze towards his newfound protectors with confused eyes. "Sorry, who are you?" 

The older man did not reply, instead engaging himself with the person in front of him. "Move along, old man." The malicious friend commanded, his white shirt stained with all sorts of dirt and filth. 

"Do as the bard asks or I'll be forced to draw my weapons." The old man stated, to which the stranger scoffed.

"What weapons?" He looked the old man up and down. "I see no steel here." He pushed the man backwards, and luckily one of the women caught him. The other kicked him so hard in the hip that he fell to the floor. She then proceeded to snap his neck with her bare hands, a vicious war cry erupting from her throat. Jaskier cried out in shock, turning away to calm himself.

"Steel won't be necessary." She said spitefully towards the now dead man. The head of the creature Geralt and Kyana were sent to find flew down through the air, landing on the floor. Through the sound of it rolling in the dust, Kyana's laughter and Geralt's all but audible smile graced the air as they talked, as though their conversation was one only they could understand.

When Geralt's head turned, followed by Kyana's, to face their employers, they stopped in their tracks. Staying quiet and merely observing, Kyana rose an eyebrow at the equipment being stolen. "Those are mine." She stated, watching as the man hurriedly took off the equipment and threw a bag of coins towards Geralt, who caught it swiftly. He ran rather quickly in Kyana's eyes as she watched him with amusement.

Jaskier stumbled over his speech in shock. "This woman just killed a man with her bare hands for trying to steal your horse." He informed Kyana with horror, who hummed with a small grin on her face, hoping off of the rock to greet them. Kyana faced the woman, who stared into her eyes, waiting to be screamed at. Instead, Kyana extended her free hand for her to shake while the other clutched her sword. 

"A talented woman. I thank you for your efforts, it was very decent of you." Kyana encouraged her to grasp her hand, which she did. Kyana shook her hand in respect to the woman, who smiled and nodded her head to tell her she was welcome.

"Maybe she'll make a better travel companion then." Geralt grumbled out, warily observing the people before him. Kyana gave him a pointed look to chastise him, pulling up the edges of her gloves higher over her wrist. Kyana had relied heavily on her armour to avoid the airborne poison that would seep from the monsters before she killed it, yet some items had slipped and moved during the fight. She adjusted and collected herself, before twisting to face Jaskier. 

"Don't listen to him, Jaskier, I want you here." Kyana patted his shoulder, although he was still slightly traumatized from what he had seen. "A thousand apologies, who are you exactly?" Kyana asked politely to the man in front of her, sheathing her sword without much worry for the blood on it. The old man smiled.

"I am Borch Three Jackdaws, and these are my companions Téa and Véa. I've been looking for you both, Geralt of Rivia and Kyana of Cintra." The old man pointed to them both. Kyana gave him a simple nod, pulling the equipment back onto her horse.

"Well then, Borch Three Jackdaws, for the trouble Téa endured to secure the safety of my horse, I do believe I owe you some of my time." Kyana replied, turning kindly towards them. Geralt grumbled softly, mumbling about her making decisions without asking him. "You do not decide if my heart beats, Geralt. I can decide some things for myself. Shush."

Geralt rolled his eyes. She had been picking up some serious sarcasm over the years; especially playful banter. For the most part, he could entertain her playful attitude. "You get more and more opinionated every day." Kyana scoffed, patting her horse and gesturing for Jaskier to jump onto Geralt's. "Why can't he ride on your horse?"

"Geralt, these people protected our horses, equipment, and our friend. The least I can do is lend them my horse." Kyana gave the trio a small smile. "We make for the town, you are welcome to join us. Whichever two of you can ride on Pegasus. The other may walk with me." The entire way back to the village, Kyana spent talking avidly with Téa, who had decided to walk with her. They talked of life in the woods, of protecting their team, and soon became fast friends.

Borch led them to a tavern once they arrived at the village. It was rather homely, full of completely drunken men and women, but homely. Kyana hadn't been in a tavern in a while, the smell of ale and wine burning her eyes lightly. "This is a first for me, and that's saying something, I have very little firsts left. But to dine with the Geralt of Rivia and Kyana of Cintra. Your adventures are legend." Borch told them, walking steadily into the tavern.

Jaskier gave an audible intake of breath. "You're welcome." He muttered under his breath. Kyana gave him a look, which he rose his hands in surrender. Borch selected a table to sit by, which was right at the back, farthest from the entrance.

"I suppose you want me to tell you why I've sought out such accomplished monster hunters?" Borch stated the obvious. Kyana sat next to Geralt, waiting for the next words to be said.