77

Geralt and Kyana decided to leave for Cintra within the next week. The harshness of the journey reminded Kyana of the adventures she had with Geralt, which gave her a reason to smile. 

"Have you spoken to Jaskier?" Kyana asked him. Geralt regarded her with hooded eyes. 

"No. Have you?" Kyana nodded, patiently willing to listen to why he had refused contact. 

"I've written and received letters. He wrote a beautiful ballad last month, 'Her Sweet Kiss'. It's my favourite one yet. I have the lyrics if you want to read them, he put it in the letter." Kyana shuffled through her satchel, flicking through numerous pieces of paper protected by a small, brown box covered in dry wax to make it waterproof. Geralt felt guilty about driving Jaskier away from her. Even if she had dozens of letters all excitedly telling each other about everything going on, he still felt terrible. 

"I don't need to see it, I trust your judgment." He said gruffly. Kyana sighed, giving up in her search for the letter and letting her hand rest on the reigns. 

"You should write him, he wants to hear from you." She attempted to persuade him, but was met with silence. Kyana sighed reluctantly and thought of something new to say. "You can't run from what you said forever, Geralt. Not talking to Jaskier will only drive him away from you, and no matter how much you deny it, I know you don't want that."

Geralt didn't answer, only tightened his jaw. He knew she was right, yet his pride wouldn't allow him to admit that. Instead he brooded in silence and refused to comment on her statement. After around an hour of travelling on the main road leading to Cintra, they started to approach the beginnings of the city market that rested on the outskirts of the castle walls. Geralt rode straight through, uncaring of the fine fabrics or the begging children around his horse's legs, praying for a few coppers. 

Kyana gave each a coin in turn. Her stay with Aerin had allowed Kyana to work, yet not have to spend money on accommodations or food. Kyana had saved up a good deal of money, and a few coins wouldn't hurt if it meant her people could live another day. Children who had received coins blessed her in hundreds of tongues, praying for her and crying with joy as they showed their starving family the shiny golden coins. It brought tears to Kyana's eyes when she realized the people were right; Calanthe was starving her people. 

Geralt and Kyana dismounted next to a stable, handing the young boy the reigns as they went looking for provisions. They walked around together, Geralt protectively hovering behind her shoulder to ward off the wandering gazes that rested on her. Kyana allowed him to, because the more they walked, the more women turned to whisper about him to their friends, who would laugh and whisper back. 

"You want some grain or apples?" Kyana asked over her shoulder, grazing her fingertips over the wooden box that held the apples. She received no answer from her partner. "Geralt?" Kyana turned, finding him behind her, glaring at some stranger she had never seen before. "What's wrong?" 

"He's been watching you for ten whole minutes with this filthy look in his eye, like I'm not even beside you." Kyana sighed, but a smile played at her lips. Geralt rarely showed emotion publicly, let alone distain. Yet he was willing to practically shoot fire from his eyes to protect Kyana from prying gazes. 

"As is every woman within a three mile radius, they're all gazing at you." Kyana replied quietly, raising an amused eyebrow. "Yet I'm not stalking over you, because I trust you." Geralt shifted his gaze to hers, his eyes softening from hardened gold to melted butter. 

"It's not that I don't trust you, I do. I don't trust him." He stated, disgust dripping from his words as his eyes moved back to watch the stranger. Kyana rolled her eyes, placing her hands on either side of Geralt's jaw and guiding her lips delicately to his. He was startled, his heart beat so quickly he nearly had a heart attack. Geralt finally regained control of his body enough to close his eyes and grasp her waist and pull her to him, pouring his unsaid love for her into his actions. His hands on her waist encouraged Kyana to arch her body forward, pushing her chest into his. 

He was so distracted by her and the thudding of his heart, he didn't register that he'd publicly declared her more than just his travelling companion. What was once rumor was now reality, yet Geralt didn't care at all. In that moment, all he was focused on was the woman he loved, the woman he hadn't kissed like this in months, and he reveled in every second of it. 

Kyana pulled away delicately, tugging at his bottom lip as she did so. "Now shush, there's nothing to worry about for either of us." She whispered, untangling herself from his grip to continue shopping for food. Geralt looked around, and surely enough the man had torn away his gaze and the women stared with a ferocious hatred towards Kyana. He looked towards the ground and smiled when he knew no one could see past his hair. Geralt had just made himself look like the softest Witcher to ever live in public by kissing the hidden lion of Cintra, and yet, he couldn't care less. 

Kyana grazed her hands across a rack of silks, the fine fabrics that were used like headbands to keep baby hairs out of the face. Kyana marveled at the patterns; ones with leaves and ones with birds, some with swords and others flowers, several with animals and several with plain lines, each one as beautiful as the next. Kyana's favourite by far was the emerald green silk square in the far corner, too 'ugly' to be put on full display with the purples and pinks and blues. The silk had patterned leaves delicately embroidered with thin golden leaves. The embroidery was shaky and imperfect around the edges, yet Kyana loved it even more. 

Before Kyana could call the seller, he was already making his way to the silk, her silk. Kyana's heart sunk, watching as the seller carried away the beautiful piece of fabric to one of the ladies besides her. Instead, the fabric landed in Geralt's palm, while coins landed into the seller's. Kyana's mouth dropped open, watching him sweep her hair over her shoulder and standing behind her. He tied the fabric to lay delicately at the top of her head, the rich green complimenting the deep and tight blue curls. 

"Geralt, you didn't have to-" Geralt kissed her cheek lightly, his action shielded by the mass of tight curls, before straightening and standing by her side as they walked. 

"I know. I wanted to." He told her gently. "As much as I'd love to stand here and kiss you all day, I have urgent news to relay to Mouseack."