33

The crowd cheered enthusiastically for their queen. Queen Calanthe, bloody from head to toe and decked in golden armour, swung her helm into the hands of a nearby soldier. Her brown hair was platted up onto her scalp to make it easier to fight, which she did fiercely. Tossing her glove to the side and picking up a cup, she yelled "Beer!" into the crowd, who cheered delightedly. "Apologies noble sirs, a few upstart townships in the south needed reminding who was Queen." Once again, the crowd roared. "I find it's good for one's blood and humors. Ready your suitor's tales of glory, my good lords. My daughter is eager to have this over with, as am I." She turned, facing her family. "Bard, music!" Jaskier began singing, a melody Kyana couldn't wait to hear, yet Calanthe stopped him. "No, no, no! A jig! You can save your bloody maudlin nonsense for my funeral."

Kyana was in a slight state of panic as she stood alone in an alcove. Geralt approached her to keep her company, but also to make her feel a little more comfortable when she was so out of her element. He chuckled slightly at Calanthe's comment, which he hid by drinking from his goblet. She elbowed him lightly in the stomach, yet it wasn't even enough to make him flinch. "Shush, that's our friend." Geralt rolled his eyes, leaning down behind her to talk in her ear so that he could actually be heard.

"Correction, that's your friend." It was Kyana's turn to roll her eyes. "Secondly, why is Pavetta staring at you?" Kyana looked up, seeing that Geralt wasn't lying. Pavetta moved her gaze when she was caught, although it was undoubtedly on Kyana.

"I have absolutely no idea. Maybe she likes my dress?" In short, Kyana grasped at straws to explain something she didn't know, and Geralt knew that. He scoffed in disbelief.

"Underneath all of your femininity is strength, Kyana. You radiate it. The one thing royals don't like is independent strength." Geralt looked back up at Pavetta, who tried to be calm and watch them from the corner of her eye. Kyana didn't want to be noticed by the royals, and yet, there she was, fighting off Pavetta's gaze.

"Maybe she's looking at you? She might think you're a suitor." Kyana suggested with a shrug of her shoulders. Kyana felt someone staring at her and looked up, noticing it was Eist, and looked towards Geralt again to avoid the gaze. Geralt hummed, his eyebrows raising and his eyes met Kyana's.

"Do I look like the kind of man destined to be a husband? I'm not made for marriage." Kyana shrugged, not knowing what to say.

"Every man is suitable for marriage to the right woman." Kyana stated, watching Pavetta's eyes dance everywhere but on them. It was a possibility that Pavetta liked the look of Geralt. Even Kyana would admit, Geralt was a very handsome man. His refinement was more than every lord in the castle's looks put together, Kyana couldn't deny that in good conscience.

"Is that so?" Geralt questioned playfully. Kyana could practically hear the smirk on his face. His head had remained low as to allow her to hear him, and her alone, while they spoke among the chaos of drunk, shouting men.

"Yes. Everyone alive exists for a reason. There is always someone who's love will bring out the best in you." Kyana explained to him. Geralt hummed in agreement, his gaze drifting towards Eist.

"Eist seems quite taken with you." Geralt said casually, although Kyana could hear the tone of masked distain. She smirked and turned her head to look back at him, his face a few centimetres from hers.

"Wouldn't you like to know." She replied teasingly, removing her gaze from him and glancing over the suitor's faces. Geralt smirked subtly, facing the wall to hide it. Out of the corner of her eye, Kyana saw Pavetta gaze longingly between the two of them, which arose questions in Kyana's mind. Was it a bond like Geralt and Kyana's Pavetta wanted when she was to be wed? Kyana watched wearily at the Lioness and Pavetta's exchange, listening from the shadows while Geralt gazed distractedly at the couples dancing.