79

Calanthe breezed around sword viewings carelessly, her guards and noblemen trailing after her. Calanthe had grown weary and rather careless in the past years where she had not shown off Cintra's strength in battle and war. Nobles began to question her, and her worry was evident from the frown lines that had etched themselves into her forehead and around her mouth. Her smile lines from around her eyes had faded, leaving her aura solemn and lifeless, devoid of the passion she once had. 

"The Nilfgaardians don't strike me as foolish." One of Calanthe's guards, Danek, spoke up. He was a stocky fellow, with broad shoulders and a cheeky attitude that had amused Calanthe to no ends in his time as her personal guard. He didn't fear telling her she was wrong, or pointing out that he hated her dress, and she loved that about him. "Coming at us now would be right stupid." He said as she observed the saddle pads being sold. 

"The army whose stink I can smell on a strong breeze is one I worry about." Calanthe commented, picking up a Cintran longsword and observing the metal under the sunlight. "So we prepare, same as always." Calanthe was dismissive towards the subject, but those who knew her well enough could see under her facade; she was afraid. 

"When does the King return from Skellige, Your Majesty?" Her second guard replied, one she quite disliked and never bothered to learn his name. Calanthe looked behind her at the guard, a small grin tilting one side of her mouth. 

"This morning. Be good to see that craggy face." Calanthe said, thinking of her husband, Eist. He had been good to her over the years they had been together, including with Ciri. She hadn't expected him to react so well when a baby returned in her arms, yet there he was, supportive beyond words. 

"Be better to see the 50 ships the Skelligens promised." Danek commented, much to Calanthe's surprise. Had that been said by someone she didn't like, she could've killed them on the spot. It was also his fearlessness that Calanthe admired; he would be a fine knight. "Your Majesty." He apologized when her head turned to face him, her eyes looking up and down at his unbothered form. 

"No offense taken, Danek. You know I agree. We've taken on every pissant pretender for a dozen years. If Nilfgaard need to learn the lesson the rest of them have, we'll be ready for them." Calanthe replied, perusing the selection of war related equipment. "I want reports from the Amell Pass every hour..." She trailed off at the sight of two most unwelcome visitors, led by Mouseack. Calanthe glared at them defiantly, straightening her back as her guards readied themselves. "I warned you about coming back."

Geralt let out a sarcastic chuckle. "We've been away 12 years and we'd planned on staying that way, till you sent eight men to kill us. Your own sister, Calanthe? Have you really sunk so low?" Calanthe's eyes darted over to Kyana, who held her gaze with a furious passion that had never been matched. A small silence fell upon them. 

Calanthe stepped forward, leaving her protection and pursuing the Witchers before her. "Well, I'm asking you now. Do not do this." Calanthe subtly begged, amusing Geralt to no bounds. He had a lawful claim to Ciri, he was well within his rights to snatch her in the dead of night and kill her, yet that was not in his nature. 

"If you treated us more like friends than threats." He trailed off for a small second, tilting his head as he looked into her stoic eyes. "Do you know the difference anymore?" Calanthe raised her chin in defiance, the air around them electric with distrust.

"We're here to protect the girl, Calanthe. We know of the war brewing and the troubles you will soon face. Cirilla is not safe here." Kyana stated, taking precautionary steps as she mentally approached Calanthe. Calanthe felt a mix of feelings; betrayal, sadness, but one stood out the most among the chaos - deceit. And not on Calanthe's part. Kyana frowned. 

"Who I've raised as my own." She exclaimed, clinging to Ciri as best as she could when the law was against her, when her guards and noblemen watched her defy it. "Why would I give my only heir to someone who never cared enough to come back for her?" Calanthe's words stung Kyana deeply, inciting her to act on the anger that had been brewing ever since she learned of Pavetta. 

"Why would my sister keep the news of my niece's death from me? A niece I was very close with? Someone I wrote to every week, only to receive pages upon pages of a reply?" Kyana scoffed in Calanthe's face. "You are not innocent. You are vile for this. She was my family, my friend. My dear, dear friend I couldn't even pay my respects to when she died. You left me with unanswered letters and heartbreak, yet you wag your finger in Geralt's face." 

Calanthe fought tears as she looked upon her sister. This woman had feared her all her life, yet never judged her. Kyana had been kind towards Pavetta, supplied the gentleness Calanthe could not; she would admit it now, she was wrong to exclude Kyana, yet she couldn't bear to look into Kyana's eyes and see Pavetta's staring back at her. "Move along, Witchers. I'll pay whatever you want."

The hurt on Kyana's face was enough for Geralt to start to become angry. It was fine for Calanthe to address him as Witcher, but to discredit Kyana's involvement as her sister was vile. "I can't be bought." Calanthe's face molded into recognition of the line he had used so many years ago. "You should remember."

"Money can't undo the Law of Surprise." Mouseack confirmed, still held by the collar. He had seen, heard, and sang of hundreds of kings falling from their thrones because of the Law of Surprise. "Kings who've tried to outbid destiny end up on pikes." He warned her as best as he could. Calanthe appreciated his wisdom, yet his wisdom did not smile kindly on her in that moment. In fact, it sneered, an ugly, horrid sneer that snatched away everything she could ever love. 

"And if I win the war but lose Ciri, what victory is that?" Geralt started to lose patience, stepping forwards to approach the Queen. Her guards armed themselves, pulling swords out of sheaths. Kyana rolled her eyes and struck them with Aard, just for the sheer hell of it. They flew backwards, hitting the wall with groans emitting from their lips. 

"Maybe that army won't come, and if they do, maybe you'll be ready." Geralt raised a hand and pointed venomously at the Queen. His very breathing dripped a command; he was not to be disobeyed. "But if you have any doubt in your mind that she's safe here, give her to me. Call it destiny, security, what larger forces at work, I don't care. I will take her, protect her, and bring her back unharmed, I promise you that." Calanthe remained unsure, grasping at straws for reasons to keep Ciri there. Geralt saw this, and added to his statement. "If you don't trust me, trust your sister, who would have walked through Hell for you, for Pavetta, and now for Ciri." 

Calanthe flicked her gaze to Kyana, who stared at her with just the same force. "Ciri is all I have left of my daughter." Calanthe whispered, begging them not to take her. Kyana reached out to her thoughts again, listening as Calanthe allowed ideas to race in her mind. 

"If Ciri survives, then Pavetta lives on too." Kyana reasoned, stepping forward to meet Geralt. "And have no fear, as long as I live, Ciri will never so much as lose a hair on her head, and if she does, I pray for the soul who harmed her." 

Calanthe turned her head, seeing no other choice. "Law of Surprise has been called." She stated, louder, so that the nobles could hear and start whispering among them. "I'll tell Cirilla myself." Calanthe glared at them both, before turning away and storming into the castle. As she disappeared from sight, Kyana heard a new thought circle in Calanthe's mind. 

To hell with the bitch. I'll kill her myself. 

With that, Kyana lost faith in Calanthe, and sorely missed the sister she once had.