One-Shot: McGee Meets Phil Coulson

So, I wrote this in celebration of Special Agent's second year anniversary. Note of warning: I have not watched Agents of SHIELD (although I plan to) so the Marvel canon surrounding Coulson may not be entirely accurate. Be that as it may, this is just something I did for fun, so enjoy! It's set after this book but before the events of The Dark Soldier.

-------

"Agent McGee."

McGee stood, looking at the agent of SHIELD who had addressed him. He had been called into this office with no explanation as to why, and a knot was forming in his stomach.

"Yes?" he answered. The agent who stood before him wore a nice suit, hands in his pants pockets. He had brown hair and a certain look about him that made McGee believe he would look over this man as a threat but quickly regret it. He decided to just start out by marking him as a threat.

"I'm Agent Phil Coulson," the SHIELD agent said, holding out his hand for McGee to shake.

"Timothy McGee," McGee introduced, shaking Coulson's hand.

"I know," Coulson said. "I summoned you, remember?"

"Yes, sorry," McGee said. "Just a little nervous."

"Don't be," Coulson said. He motioned for McGee to follow him and headed into his office, gesturing for the NCIS agent to take a seat. After sitting at his desk, Coulson looked across at McGee and pressed his fingers together. "Do you know why you're here, Agent McGee?"

McGee shook his head. I hope I'm not in any sort of trouble.

"Tony Stark speaks well of you," Coulson said. "He's mentioned your skills with a computer to Director Fury."

McGee furrowed his brow, but he couldn't ignore the warm feeling inside him. Tony Stark thought he was good enough to refer to Nick Fury. Then he internally frowned. Did he really want to work for Fury?

I'd rather work for Gibbs.

"In fact, your coding skills are why we called you here," Coulson said. "I have a job for you, coding something to help out my team. You ace that, Agent McGee, then Fury may just consider you for the trickiest programming job on a top secret project."

McGee's eyes must have widened, for Coulson laughed. "Come with me and I'll explain the job to you."

****

"How's it feel, to be an Avenger?" Coulson asked as they walked down a hallway in the Triskelion. According to the SHIELD agent, they were on some classified level of the building that only a few had access to. "Hello? McGee?"

McGee jumped. He was still not used to being called an Avenger. "Oh, you're talking to me. Sorry. Um, I don't know. I've only done any sort of avenging once."

Coulson smiled. "Once is enough, McGee. Save one life, that's enough. Besides, the original group, their first mission was New York."

Fighting Loki, McGee thought, but he didn't say it. Loki had been gone for about two weeks now, forced to return to Asgard after his punishment with NCIS had ended. But despite NCIS' fond opinion of the god of mischief, McGee had found that, even with his new status as an Avenger, Loki was not looked kindly upon by other people.

"But they all did stuff before that," McGee pointed out. "Heroic stuff, Iron Man and Captain America and Thor."

"Thor didn't start out a hero, believe me," Coulson confided. "But McGee, you've been working with NCIS for a long while now, protecting people. That's heroic. You're just as much a hero as the others, even if you don't feel like it. And that's actually what makes you more of a hero."

That also made McGee warm inside. He was a hero. Like Tony Stark.

"It's just so strange," McGee confided. "Like, I used to collect trading cards of Captain America when I was a kid, and then suddenly he's standing before me in real life and now I'm a part of his team."

Coulson looked at McGee, interested. "Really? I collected the trading cards, too!"

McGee grinned. "Vintage, am I right?"

"Well, they were," Coulson said a tad grumpily. "Is the captain your favorite?"

McGee shook his head. "No, Iron Man. I've just always looked up to him."

"Captain America is better," Coulson stated, stopping and turning to face McGee.

"Iron Man," McGee insisted.

"Captain America."

"Iron Man."

"Captain America!"

"Iron Man!"

The two agents were glaring at each other now, eyes narrowed. For a long moment they stared each other down before they broke eye contact at the same time.

"Iron's Man's better," McGee claimed.

"Captain America's better," Coulson said simultaneously, and the two exchanged another glare before continuing down the hallway.

"To get back to business," Coulson said, and McGee wondered if their argument would jeopardize his job. "I'll bring you to an office from which you can work."

****

After McGee finished writing the code, Coulson appeared and looked it over, giving it a nod. "Very good, McGee. You've passed the test."

"I've passed the test?" McGee repeated skeptically.

Coulson nodded, straightening. "You have. This code is perfect. Of course, I'll have it tested before my team uses it, but it looks good, Agent McGee. Provided everything goes smoothly, I'll recommend you to Fury as his number one choice for the classified project."

McGee felt his eyes widen. "Really?"

Coulson grinned at him. "Welcome to SHIELD, Agent McGee." Once again, he held out his hand for the agent to shake, and he did.

He was going to be an agent of SHIELD.

/**/

Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed! Please vote and comment, let me know what you think!

@I_of_the_Fandom requested this story. Thanks for the idea! This whole one-shot thing was pretty fun. Maybe I'll do it again sometime.

Skylar Wittenborn