Chapter 78

The grounds of the Navy Yard were filled with Chitauri as Thor and Loki flew down towards the group of Avengers, NCIS agents, and ETCD. Thor dropped his brother and Loki twisted into a roll as he hit the pavement, flinging his black hair back as he came up on his feet. Stark and Gibbs came to a landing beside the brothers, and the four raced over towards the rest of the Avengers.

And then the Chitauri charged.

The team went into action. Stark blasted aliens from a hovering position twenty feet off the ground as McGhee unloaded his clip into the neck of a Chitauri. McCallan swooped through the air in his jet, sending streaks of bullets into the crowd of Chitauri. Zied Ranger's form flickered as he slashed at the aliens with his knives. Kendra Cook used oxygen particles to propel her into the air and rain fire from her flame launcher down onto the Chitauri as Rhodes spiraled over her, shooting at any alien that got it into their minds to aim at the soldier.

Hulk grabbed a Chitauri in his fist and hurled it into a wall as Thor threw Mjolnir into a group of aliens, punching one that got too close to him. Drift kicked a Chitauri as she shot another one and Rogers bashed one alien in the face with his shield. Back to back with Bishop, Barton unleashed arrow after arrow into the ranks of aliens as she fired her gun at the ones behind him.

DiNozzo and Romanoff were in the thick of things, Romanoff using her hand-to-hand combat skills and DiNozzo wielding his gun and knife. The Black Widow whipped around the neck of one Chitauri, sending him stumbling to the ground as she flipped onto the shoulders of another alien and fired a bullet into his neck. DiNozzo ducked as a Chitauri swung its staff at him and he lunged forward, hitting the alien in the legs and knocking it off balance. Bringing his knife up, he plunged it down into the throat of the Chitauri, rolling off of the creature as the blood started to spurt.

Loki charged at the Chitauri, firing off a blast from his scepter as he leapt into the air. He landed among the aliens and began to stab his scepter blade into the creatures, seeking to take out as many as he could. Gibbs was somewhere behind him, snapping necks and firing bullets.

Together, the Avengers took down the remaining Chitauri, only stopping when the last body toppled to the ground. Rhodes and Stark landed on the pavement and McCallan gently brought his jet down a good couple hundred feet away from the others, powering the engines down.

"We did it," Bishop gasped, sucking in a deep breath of air.

Loki nodded, mutely, as Gibbs turned to the team. "Good job."

****

"....The Avengers once again have our gratitude as they saved Washington, D.C., from another alien attack," the news reporter said to the camera, standing before just one of many scenes of wreckage in the city. "The original six superheroes, Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Black Widow, Hawkeye, and the Hulk, were joined by two new groups of up and coming heroes. The new Avengers from NCIS and ETCD have made a promising debut."

"Look at us," DiNozzo laughed. "We're Avengers now."

"The valiant agents from NCIS include Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs, Special Agent Anthony DiNozzo, Special Agent Eleanor Bishop, Special Agent Timothy McGhee, and Special Agent Loki Laufeyson. That's right: the notorious Asgardian who was responsible for the destruction in New York has turned from his villainous ways and become a hero, saving D.C. from its attackers."

Loki, sitting on the edge of his desk, grinned.

"Also present with us today were members of the military squad ETCD, or Extraterrestrial Combat Division. Colonel James Rhodes of the Air Force, also known as the War Machine, has been training young Air Force Crook McCallan, Army Zied Ranger, Coast Guard Kendra Cook, and Navy SEAL Artemis Drift, the first woman allowed into the SEAL program, for just this type of situation, and their first official battle was a rousing success."