Chapter 61

Bishop regained consciousness just as she was being strapped into a seat by the masked Agent Sniper. She jumped, startled, as the woman tightened the straps holding Bishop down. The restraints bit into her skin.

For a moment, the agent couldn't recall how she had ended up here. Then, flashes of memory began to bombard her mind.

Getting out of her car...walking up onto the porch....

Then the butt of a sniper rifle slamming into her chest.

Bishop fell backwards, flailing her arms out behind her to catch her balance. Pain shot through her palms and up her arms as they struck the edge of the step, the looming figure of Agent Sniper stepping from the shadows that had concealed her. Her sniper rifle was held casually in her hand as she descended the steps swiftly to Bishop just as the agent was reaching for her pistol, blood seeping from the wound on her hand and dropping onto the step.

The handgun went flying as Sniper kicked it, sending it skittering across the lawn. Bishop couldn't move as the woman grabbed her shoulder, hoisting her to her feet.

The dark eyes of Sniper held no emotion as she began to drag Bishop away from the house. Snapping out of her stupor, Bishop threw her weight against her captor's hold, seeking to break free. The sudden movement seemed to catch the woman off guard and Bishop was able to unbalance Sniper enough to gain some ground in the opposite direction from which the woman sought to take her.

But Sniper stepped closer to Bishop, tightening her grip on her shoulder so her nails dug into the agent's flesh. Bishop dug her heels into the dirt and pulled back. Sniper released her shoulder and Bishop, losing her balance, hit the ground.

Rolling over onto her stomach, Bishop frantically tried to put as much distance between herself and the elusive agent, pushing against the ground to propel herself forward, but to no avail. Sniper strode forward, lifting the butt of her gun high into the air.

Blackness descended as the rifle was brought down on Bishop's head.

Bishop glanced about the space she was being held in as Sniper finished with the bonds. Wires ran along the walls, all leading to the front of the space, which was arranged like a cockpit, one pilot's seat surrounded by all kinds of equipment. Strange devices were hooked up to the walls and there was a second seat next to hers.

She was in a vehicle.

"Why am I here?" Bishop asked, looking at the masked figure. With expressionless eyes, the woman stared back at her.

"You're the bait," she said at last.

Sniper turned and stood at attention, facing two approaching figures Bishop couldn't make out very well in the dim lighting. Only when they had climbed into the vehicle did she recognize Clare Leopard, Loki's scepter strapped to her back, and one who could only be the Space Walker.

"Excellent, Sniper," the Walker praised. "You have brought us the girl."

"I told you I would," the Sniper returned, jumping down out of the vehicle. "I will be in my position, waiting."

The Walker nodded, stepping closer to Bishop. He took her chin in his hands and turned her face to the side, his fingers rough and scarred. She tried to jerk her head back but couldn't.

"Why am I here?" she spat, glaring at the Walker angrily. She couldn't see his face.

"You're here because of Special Agent Loki Laufeyson," the Walker said.

For a moment, Bishop was filled with doubt as he continued, "But I will have someone else tell you why you are here."

Turning, the Walker gestured and a screen lowered from its compartment in the ceiling. Leopard caught her breath beside Bishop as the Walker tapped some keys on a pad in the wall.

The screen came to life, light flickering on to reveal the huge figure of a...Bishop didn't even know what the figure was. Light purple skin with creases etched into it, a golden and grey helmet covering his head, the being stared out at them.

"Father," the Walker said, spreading his hands and making a bow. "We have the girl."

The being's eyes moved to survey Bishop, and the corner of his mouth moved. "So you do, Lucas."

Leopard was staring at the screen with wide eyes. "Thanos," she breathed.

Thanos' eyes tracked to Leopard. "Clare Leopard," he said. Bishop couldn't read anything from his tone or expression. "You have come far."

Leopard smiled. "Thank you."

"Watch yourself," Thanos warned. "For the Asgardian came far, as well. But he fell, in the end. Don't make the same error."

Bishop felt a knot forming in her stomach as the pieces clicked into place. Or, at least, some of them.

The Space Walker was Lucas Sharpe.

And Loki had to be the Asgardian Thanos was talking about.

"Why am I here?" she asked suddenly.

Thanos' eyes moved back, focusing intensely on her. Bishop stared back, angry and also frightened. Who the heck was this guy?

"You are here due to the one known as Loki," he said.

That doubt filled Bishop again. Traitor crossed her mind briefly, before she eliminated it. Loki wouldn't betray her, he wouldn't.

"You're right," Thanos said, startling her. She hadn't spoken her momentary thought aloud – or had she? "He is a traitor. He just didn't betray you."

There was a slight pause before Thanos finished. "He betrayed me."