Chapter 44

As the elevator doors closed on Gibbs and Stark, the Avengers and NCIS agents all regarded each other in silence, unsure of what to do. Thor rejoined the heroes and Bishop, McGhee, DiNozzo, and Loki all exchanged glances before Tony spoke up, breaking the uneasy silence.

"Hey, aren't you the Hulk?" he asked, pointing at Banner.

"Actually, I'm Bruce," Banner said. "Bruce Banner."

"Yeah, but the part of you who actually does anything useful is the Hulk, right?" DiNozzo pressed.

Banner didn't look very happy about that question.

"Don't provoke him, DiNozzo," Loki murmured. "Or else you will see the 'useful' Hulk firsthand."

"Fury told me you were working with NCIS," Rogers said to Loki. "How is that going?"

"Captain," Loki said. "I am well aware that you and your entire team still regard me as the enemy. Do not feel obligated to try and engage in small talk."

"He's got a point," Romanoff said to Rogers.

Thor walked past the Avengers and stood before the NCIS team. "How goes it with the case?" he asked them.

"You told Shrapnel Boy about Loki's scepter," DiNozzo accused the god.

Thor furrowed his brow. "Who?"

"Stark," Bishop filled in. "He means Tony Stark."

"Yes, I did," Thor acknowledged. "How goes the case?"

DiNozzo just stared at him. "You stabbed NCIS in the back. You think I'm gonna tell you anything more about the case?"

Thor looked at the other agents. "Anyone else want to tell me? Besides petty DiNozzo?"

"Hey!" DiNozzo exclaimed.

"Not really," McGhee admitted. Bishop just shook her head.

"Brother?" Thor said, turning to Loki.

"Don't look at me," Loki said. "I'm not betraying NCIS like you did. I'm reformed now."

Barton snorted in disbelief as Thor huffed and stepped away from the team. "They're impossible," he told the other Avengers in a loud whisper.

More awkward silence.

"You look different, Loki," Romanoff observed. "Must be the shirt."

Loki looked down. He was still wearing the shirt DiNozzo had lent him, due to Abby not having fixed his own tunic yet. "Most likely."

"Why – why aren't you wearing your Asgardian stuff?" Banner asked.

"It was damaged," Loki answered vaguely.

"I lent him that one," DiNozzo informed them. "Because he didn't have a shirt." He said this last part with an affected British accent.

Bishop wrinkled her nose. "What, Tony?"

DiNozzo just looked at her. "Come on. 2002. Hugh Grant and Sandra Bullock. Two Weeks Notice. Fabulous romantic comedy. Didn't you ever watch that?"

Bishop lifted an eyebrow as McGhee frowned and Loki looked very confused. The Avengers exchanged puzzled glances.

"What part was that?" Bishop asked.

"When he calls her out of her friend's wedding," DiNozzo explained. "Because he needs her help picking out an outfit for an interview or something? She grabs the clothes for him while telling him off, and then she walks out, all angry, and he just says, after she's gone, 'I don't have a shirt.'"