Chapter 57

Fornell slipped a flash drive into the screen's USB port and pointed the remote at the screen. A list filled the screen.

"We have almost nothing on her," the FBI agent said. "No fingerprints, no facial recognition, no real name. We call her Kate Sniper."

"Because of the gun," Gibbs said quietly. Fornell glanced over at him.

"Yes, because of the marine sniper rifle she carries. We don't know much else, but we have been able to connect her to various operations and assassinations."

Fornell zoomed in on the list, allowing Gibbs, the Avengers, and the agents to scan the names, places, and dates before continuing. "She seems more of an investigative sort, doing the stealing and research before her assassin buddy comes in to finish the job."

"Who's her partner?" Gibbs asked.

"We don't know," Fornell told him. "He's practically a ghost. Anyway, I've been able to connect her to multiple cases, none before 2008. She's very good, Gibbs. But I'm sure you're already aware of that."

"Do you know who she works for?" Romanoff asked, appearing very interested in the conversation.

Fornell shook his head. "We don't."

"Any idea why she'd be working with Leopard and Space Walker?" DiNozzo inquired.

"No," Fornell said. "Assassination is more her buddy's forte. Sabotage, data theft, tracking down leads – that's more of her skillset."

"So what's she doing trying to kill Gibbs?" McGhee asked.

"Or Loki," DiNozzo responded.

McGhee shook his head. "She took a shot at Gibbs in Vance's office. The only reason Loki was there was because you sent him up there."

DiNozzo looked like he hadn't remembered that part.

"Is her partner working with her now?" Rogers asked.

Fornell pursed his lips. "Hard to say, but it's probably safe to assume no. If he was, he'd be the one taking the shots at Gibbs, not her."

****

Bishop didn't know what time it was anymore. Tense, she sat in her chair, in the same position she had taken up when Gibbs had left, hours ago. She couldn't move, no matter how logical it seemed to get up, walk around, grab something from the vending machine. She just couldn't convince herself to move. Not while Loki was in operation.

"Agent Bishop?"

Dr. Strange's voice made her lunge to her feet, stumbling because her entire left leg had fallen asleep and failed to support her weight. Catching her balance on the armrest of the chair, she shook her leg while directing her gaze to the neurosurgeon anxiously. "Yes?"

"Where's Agent Gibbs?" he asked, eyes scanning the room.

"He had to go," Bishop explained, her words tumbling over each other. "How's Loki?"

Dr. Strange offered her a triumphant smile. "The operation was a success. I removed the energy source from his head." As Bishop continued to stare at him blankly, barely able to comprehend the good news, he added, "He's okay."

"Can I see him?"

Strange nodded. "Just be aware that he's still feeling the effects of the anesthesia. But he's awake, so yes, you may see him."

Bishop followed the doctor into Loki's hospital room, feeling her breath quicken as she saw him lying on the medical cot, a pillow propped up behind his head. His eyes were wide open, not appearing like he'd just had surgery at all.