Chapter 62

Loki crossed his arms as he gazed around at the rest of the assembled team, waiting for Gibbs to arrive from his talk with the director. They had returned to the Navy Yard, evidence for Banner and Abby in tow, after Loki had informed them of his plan to rescue Bishop.

DiNozzo and McGhee looked uncertain about the plan. The Avengers looked more confused about the plan; they didn't seem to understand why Loki was willing to do this. Only Thor appeared to know why. But he didn't make any remarks about it, for which Loki was relieved. He couldn't exactly deny his feelings for Bishop when he was about to risk his life for her.

The door to the director's office opened and Loki, along with everyone else, looked up to see Gibbs exiting and heading for the stairs. Vance stood in the doorway, arms crossed, as Gibbs made his way downstairs to the squad room.

"Well?" DiNozzo asked, before Loki could.

"Loki's been approved," Gibbs responded shortly. He looked at Loki. "You still up for this?"

"Of course," Loki replied. "You know I am."

Gibbs nodded and looked to Thor. "You clear on your role?"

"I go to Asgard and wait," Thor answered steadily.

"Everyone else?" Gibbs glanced around at the team.

"We prepare for the attack," they chorused.

Gibbs nodded shortly as DiNozzo added with a halfhearted smile, "We'll be all ready to face them like the Men in Black."

When Gibbs looked back to Loki, the Asgardian jerked his head down. "Yes, I'm ready, Gibbs."

"Then go," Gibbs said. "Go to the Lunar Project and wait."

Loki turned as Gibbs tossed a set of car keys at him. He caught them and headed for the elevator without a backward glance.

"I'm still surprised he's doing this," Barton spoke into the silence as the doors closed behind the god.

"Why?" DiNozzo asked, his voice harsh.

"Because it's not like him," Barton said defensively. "It's not like him to do this."

"And you're going off of what, exactly?" McGhee challenged. "Loki from a year ago? He's different now!"

Barton raised his eyebrows, but it was enough for DiNozzo to jump at him with his fists raised. Only Gibbs' grabbing of the Italian agent prevented Barton from receiving a black eye.

"Loki has changed," DiNozzo snarled, the anger uncharacteristic of him. "He's one of us. He's part of NCIS now, and we take care of our own."

McGhee nodded, his fists clenched and muscles tense. "Loki is not the god you fought in New York."

"We'll see," Romanoff voiced quietly, coming to stand beside Barton. "Won't we?"

Gibbs held out his arm to keep DiNozzo and McGhee from attacking the Avengers in defense of their teammate. "Rule 15," he said quietly. "You always work as a team."

The Avengers were quiet and DiNozzo and McGhee seemed to relax, not a lot, but enough so that Gibbs knew they wouldn't attack the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents.

"So," he said, louder. "We're going to work as a team, which means having Loki's back. No matter what. Okay?"

Silence.

"Okay?" Gibbs demanded. Romanoff and Barton exchanged glances, neither of them wanting the appearance of giving in.

"Okay," Rogers spoke up, stepping forward. "We'll work as one team. No divisions. Avengers, Gibbs is calling the shots from here on out. And you will listen to him."