Chapter 3

Loki heard voices and laughing and glanced up to see two people walking into the squad room. A young, small blonde woman and a tall, thin, brown haired guy were conversing lightly, stopping to greet Tony. Gibbs had disappeared off somewhere.

"Hey, check out the new guy," he heard Tony say just as he was turning his attention back to figuring out the computer, and both people looked where the agent was pointing. They looked perplexed when they noticed Loki.

"Who is he?" the woman asked.

"McGhee's replacement," Tony said cheerfully. The man, obviously McGhee, jumped and shot Loki a rather scared and confused look.

"Stop scaring him," Gibbs rebuked, coming in from out of nowhere and taking a seat at his desk. "Laufeyson's not replacing anyone."

"Laufeyson?" the woman repeated.

"Apparently, Bishop, he's the newest member of Team Gibbs," Tony provided, standing as McGhee and Bishop examined Loki but tried to look like they weren't. They were doing a horrible job of hiding it.

"I don't bite," Loki called after several moments of him pretending to be working on a blank computer screen and them pretending to talk but shooting continual glances at him. "I take over cities and I stab people, but I don't bite."

McGhee looked startled and Bishop looked wary, but Tony just laughed. "Yeah, he's got an interesting story. Which Gibbs still hasn't told me about, and all Loki's said is that he took over New York. Or tried to, anyway."

Bishop glanced at Loki, a bit of hostility clouding her expression. "So, that's your name? Loki Laufeyson?"

Loki nodded, feeling his muscles tense the way they did before a fight. "Yes, it is."

Gibbs stood as three more people entered the squad room: an old man with glasses, a young man with glasses, both of them wearing blue medical scrubs, and a girl with black pigtails and tattoos. She wore a skeleton T-shirt with a black miniskirt and platform black boots with red swirls.

"So, Gibbs, why are we all here?" the girl asked. "And who's the new guy?" She offered Loki a friendly smile.

"You're here to meet the new member of the team," Gibbs responded. He gestured to Loki to stand, which he did. "This is Loki Laufeyson, of Asgard."

That got a reaction.

"Asgard?" McGhee demanded. "Like Thor?"

"You mean the mythological home of the Norse gods?" the older man queried.

Tony laughed. "That's got to be a joke."

"He just joined this morning," Gibbs continued, glaring everyone else into silence. "Loki, meet Agent Bishop, Agent McGhee, Ducky, Jimmy, and Abby." The old man was Ducky and the young man was Jimmy, the girl with the pigtails being Abby.

"Why?" Bishop asked. "Why is he joining the team?"

"Because..." Gibbs trailed off.

"Because I'm a war criminal?" Loki said, standing and stepping out from behind his desk. "Are those the words you were looking for, Agent Gibbs?"

"A war criminal?" Jimmy repeated.

"Cool!" Abby exclaimed. "What'd you do?"

"Invade New York," Loki replied. "Steal one of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s precious artifacts and use it to summon the Chitauri. I fought against the Avengers...." He trailed off, eyes flicking to see the reactions of the NCIS team.

Everyone stared at him in some sort of surprise, except for Gibbs. McGhee, Bishop, and Jimmy looked wary, sparks of fear or antagonism hiding in their eyes. Abby looked awed, like she was in the presence of a celebrity, and Tony and Ducky just seemed surprised, like he had just said he was an extra in a history film.

"So, why are you here?" McGhee asked Loki before looking to Gibbs. "If I recall correctly, we don't exactly hire war criminals at NCIS. We kinda put them away."

"Excellent summary, McGhee!" Tony applauded. "That 'kinda' really sold the statement."

McGhee shot Tony a dark look.

"I'm here because –" Loki started, but Gibbs cut him off.

"He's here because a colleague asked us to reform him. So he'll be working as an official NCIS Special Agent until he's either been considerably reformed or ends up dead. There's no other out for Loki Laufeyson." After there was a moment of silence, Gibbs added, "You can go back to your work now."

Abby, Jimmy, and Ducky left, but Tony, McGhee, Bishop, and Gibbs took to their desks as Loki remained standing. "DiNozzo and I found a lead last night," Gibbs said. "Tony, bring it up."

"Lead on what?" Loki asked curiously.

Everyone just looked at him as he added, "You said it yourself, Agent Gibbs. I'm a part of this team now, perhaps permanently."

"But if you reform your ways –" Bishop started.

"Darling, I quite doubt that I can do that," Loki said, flashing her a sarcastic smile. "But as I was saying, I need to know what is going on in order to be of any assistance to you. What case are we working on?"

Gibbs glanced at Loki for a moment before speaking. "All right, Laufeyson."

"I prefer Loki," Loki interjected.

"Whatever, Laufeyson. So, here's the case."