Chapter 60

Gibbs, McGhee, Fornell, and the Avengers showed up fairly quickly at Bishop's house, Gibbs driving the NCIS van. Loki was in the same spot by the mailbox, his gaze fixated on the Chitauri mask. He hadn't moved since he had spotted it.

DiNozzo, who had been taking a sample of the blood on the step, strode across the lawn to Gibbs, equipment bag in hand. "We found some blood, Boss. I got a sample for Abby to run. We searched the house, top to bottom, and found nothing. Bishop never made it inside."

Gibbs glanced over at Loki, who still hadn't moved, as McGhee grabbed a bag from the back of the van and shut the door. Fornell stood surveying the crime scene as the Avengers gathered on the sidewalk, only Barton and Romanoff appearing to have any idea of how to handle a situation like this.

"Laufeyson," Gibbs said. Loki jumped, like he hadn't realized the former Marine was standing there.

"What?" he asked, jerking his head around to look at Gibbs. The agent cocked his head, eyes narrowed, then shifted his gaze to the mask.

"What is that?" he asked.

Loki didn't seem to hear him. There was something wild in his gaze as he returned to staring at the mask. Gibbs knew he was probably in shock, but he couldn't afford to have the Asgardian phasing out on him.

"Hey!" Gibbs yelled, suddenly. Loki jumped again and looked at Gibbs. Gibbs glared at him.

"You want to help Bishop?" he asked. "Get your head in the game. All hands on deck. That means yours."

Loki nodded. "Breathe," Gibbs ordered, and watched as he sucked in a deep breath, exhaling with a sigh. A bit of the wildness seemed to disappear from his eyes.

"What are you looking at?"

"A Chitauri mask," Loki answered, his voice quiet but steady. "He has her, Gibbs. He took her to torture me. It's because of me she's in danger. It's because of me."

Gibbs slapped him in the back of the head. Loki bared his teeth angrily and wheeled on Gibbs, his fingers tightening into fists that he never swung. Instead, he just scowled at Gibbs, breathing heavily as he sought to control himself.

"Rule 10," Gibbs stated, glad to see Loki angry instead of panicked. "Don't get personally involved in a case. You want to help Bishop, Laufeyson? You got to think clearly."

Loki continued to glare at Gibbs. "Thanos took her, Gibbs."

"I know," Gibbs said quietly.

Flabbergasted, Loki stared at him. "You know?" he demanded.

Gibbs nodded. "That energy source was a memory chip, Loki. Thanos has all of your memories, all of your thoughts up until the operation. You said he wants to kill you."

"Yes," Loki muttered. "He wants me dead. He's going to kill me."

"Not if I have anything to say about it," Gibbs said. "Focus, Laufeyson. Thanos is no longer inside your head. He can't see your thoughts anymore. Do you know whether this is something he's done personally or not?"

"Not," Loki answered. "It's too early in the game for him to get involved. He's still working through lackeys. Like me."

"So Clare Leopard, then."

"Her or one of her friends."

Gibbs nodded. "I'm going to bag this, Laufeyson. I need you to go help McGhee."

Loki took a deep breath as Gibbs snapped on rubber gloves and reached out for the mask. But as soon as he touched it, a voice began to echo through the air, freezing everyone in their places.