Chapter 18

Thor looked very uncomfortable as he and Loki stood outside the NCIS building, waiting for Gibbs, Bishop, and Tony. He shifted and moved his hammer restlessly.

"Mortals are not allowed to enter Asgard," Thor grumbled. "Father's going to have a fit."

"I'll remember you said that when you decide to bring Jane Foster home for dinner," Loki retorted, crossing his arms angrily over his chest.

Thor glared at Loki. "I'll thank you to leave her out of this."

Loki rolled his eyes. "Hey, I'm not the fool who suggested we go to Asgard."

"Brother, I'm trying to help!" Thor exclaimed. "These headaches are not normal. They could possibly be a harm to your health."

"You think?" Loki muttered.

Thor placed his hand on Loki's shoulder. "Brother, what happened to you?"

Loki looked at him out of the corner of his eye. "What do you mean by that?"

"You've changed," Thor said, almost sadly. "You're not the brother I grew up with."

"Neither are you," Loki shot back. Thor sighed in exasperation and removed his hand from his brother's shoulder.

"Loki, I'm serious! Why are you behaving in this way?"

Loki glanced up at the door as the team exited, heading towards them. "This is me, brother. This is who I am. I've always been this way."

Thor shook his head. "No, you haven't. You've changed. My brother really did die that night, because you're not him."

Loki looked down as Thor's words smacked him in the face. How has Thanos changed me? Is this really me, Loki? Loki shook his head violently. No. What Thor is referring to was Loki Odinson. I'm Loki Laufeyson.

"Join the Children of Thanos."

Loki shuddered. He couldn't really say he was Loki Laufeyson – after all, he had killed Laufey. So who was he, right now? Who was responsible for the monster he had evolved into?

I am.

Loki blinked at that revelation and caught Tony looking at him strangely. "You look a little out of it, Loki," the agent remarked.

"The headaches," Loki said lamely. "Blame them."

Gibbs turned to Thor. "All right, Thor. Bring us to Asgard."

Thor sighed and lifted his hammer up over his head. "Heimdall, open the Bifrost!"

Nothing happened.

Tony and Bishop exchanged glances, Tony making the insane side behind his hand.

"Tell Heimdall you'll take full responsibility for us," Loki advised.

Thor looked at Loki doubtfully. Loki spread his hands and smiled. "Brother, have I ever steered you wrong?"

"Do I even need to start?" Thor demanded. "There is so much wrong with that statement, brother."

"Fine!" Loki exclaimed. "I guess we're not going, then."

"Tell him I'll take responsibility," Gibbs snapped. "Just get us there, Thor!"

"Yeah," Tony said, butting into the discussion. "What, Thor, you're not willing to make sacrifices to help your ailing brother?"

"Would you?" Thor retorted. "If he was your brother?"

Tony glanced at Loki and made a face. "Good point."

"I'm offended," Loki protested.

"Heimdall, I'll take full responsibility for whatever happens next," Thor shouted up at the sky. A couple passersby stopped and stared at the group, giving them strange looks.

Bishop gasped as a rainbow beam burst down from the sky and surrounded the group. Tony let out a curse as they were sucked up into the sky.

Colors flashed past as Loki glanced at the three NCIS agents. Bishop's jaw had dropped open and Tony looked shocked. Gibbs had a faint smile on his face, like he wasn't surprised at all.

Figures, Loki thought.

The group landed on the platforms surrounding the Bifrost sword. Heimdall stood there, hands on the sword, watching the newcomers with a neutral expression.

"Thor," he greeted. "I see you've brought Loki and the NCIS agents responsible for his rehabilitation." He nodded at the three agents. "Agent Gibbs, Agent DiNozzo, Agent Bishop."

"How do you know our names?" Tony demanded.

Heimdall raised his eyebrows. "I heard Agent Gibbs introduce you to Loki."

"Heimdall has good hearing," Loki explained to the stunned Tony.

"I'd say," Tony muttered. "That's like the understatement of the year, Loki."

"Why did you bring them here, Thor?" Heimdall queried. "Your father's not going to be pleased."

Thor grunted. "Loki's been having these debilitating headaches, and I thought I'd have the healers take a look."

"And the agents?" Heimdall asked.

"So, he heard our names, but didn't listen to our plan?" Tony asked.

Gibbs slapped Tony in the back of the head. "Shut up, DiNozzo."

Heimdall looked at Tony serenely. "I have more interesting things to listen to than your comments, Special Agent DiNozzo."

Tony scowled, but Thor spoke up. "Heimdall, I'm taking my brother to the palace, and these agents are here to reassure my brother that he will not be thrown back into prison. He has this fear." Thor shrugged helplessly.

Heimdall's expression finally changed, to one of bewildered disbelief. "So, these agents are here to prevent Odin, the Allfather, from carrying out what may be his will?"

Thor nodded. "When put like that, it does sound ridiculous."

Gibbs rolled his eyes. "Thor! Let's get going."

Thor gestured to the group. "Follow me, mortals. This shouldn't take long."

/***/

What do you think? I'd love to hear feedback from my readers! 

NCIS has arrived in Asgard. What do you think Odin's reaction to them is going to be? What about Frigga's? And their reaction to Loki? 

Thanks for reading, and any votes or comments you have are really appreciated!

Skylar Wittenborn