Chapter 40

Tony continued to poke fun at Loki for the entire ride over to the Andrews Air Force base. Loki suspected that it had something to do with the fact that he had ignored Tony's claim over the front seat and had taken it anyway.

"Loki and Bishop, sitting in a tree," Tony sang now. "K-I-S-S-I-N –"

"Will you shut up!" Loki yelled, unable to take it anymore. He whipped around in his seat to face DiNozzo and snarled, "If you don't keep your filthy maw closed, DiNozzo, I swear –"

"Loki," Gibbs said warningly, reaching over and smacking Loki on the back of the head. "Relax. He's teasing you, Laufeyson. No need to overreact."

"I'm not overreacting," Loki insisted, turning to face Gibbs. "I'm not, I swear."

DiNozzo scowled. "Hey, it's just a little fun, Loki. Don't know why you have to get so nasty."

"Because you know that it's all a lie," Loki asserted. "Bishop has already told me that she hates me."

"But that hug said otherwise," DiNozzo said with a wise nod. He reached up and put his hand on Loki's shoulder. "Trust me, Laufeyson, I know how women think. And that one – well, she doesn't hate you."

Askance, Loki narrowed his eyes at Tony and then decided to ignore him. But he couldn't shake DiNozzo's words out of his head. And he didn't want to. He didn't want to.

****

Colonel Rhodes was available when NCIS showed up at Andrews. They were shown to his office by an aide after stating their business and displaying their badges. Gibbs introduced the three agents by their surnames.

"ETCD," Rhodes repeated after Gibbs mentioned it. "Agent Gibbs, that is classified information. You don't have the clearance to –"

"Colonel Rhodes," Gibbs interrupted. "NCIS is investigating the murder of Marine Petty Officer John Samson, and one of our suspects has just ended up dead with a note sitting beside him, most likely scribbled with his dying strength. ETCD was inscribed on that note. And I want to know why."

Colonel Rhodes glanced at Loki and DiNozzo behind Gibbs. "Samson, huh? All right, fine, I'll tell you. ETCD is a new military division I've been starting up. It spans all five branches."

"What's it for?" Gibbs asked.

"Fighting aliens," Rhodes answered seriously.

DiNozzo coughed and Loki started to feel uneasy. He had a bad feeling of where this was leading.

"Aliens?" Gibbs repeated.

"I know, I know, it sounds crazy," Rhodes said, holding his hands up. "But ever since the alien invasion of New York last year, I've been thinking a lot more about how unprepared the military was to deal with it. If it wasn't for the Avengers, we'd all be ruled by that nutcase Loki right now."

Loki told himself not to look at DiNozzo. Whatever happened, he must not look at DiNozzo.

"ETCD stands for Extraterrestrial Combat Division," Rhodes continued, oblivious that his greatest fear was standing in his office. "Samson was my first recruit." He shook his head. "I need this team to protect us. I know Thor took that maniac of a brother back to Asgard, and I hope that he rots in their dungeons, but what if he's got friends? Allies? Whatever it takes, we must be prepared."

Loki couldn't take it anymore. He glanced over at DiNozzo.

Tony was looking at him with a grin on his face, lips pressed tightly together to contain his laughter. When he saw Loki looking at him, he couldn't stop himself and a muffled snort of laughter escaped him.