Endscene 1

The facility was sterile, not a hair on the ground or a tool out of place. The small group of people was gathered around the holding chair, staring at the calm woman strapped to it.

Her short brown hair hanging loose about her face, the woman stared blankly ahead of her. Dressed in a white tank top with navy blue sweatpants, the sniper sat, waiting for her boss to speak.

"You had one job," a man said, clearly the highest ranked person in the room. He leaned forward, tapping Kate Todd's chin and forcing her to meet his gaze. "You were supposed to assassinate Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs."

"You know that was unlikely," Kate said, her voice expressionless. "Agent Gibbs has some connection to a past life of Caitlyn Todd, a positive one. Hence it would proceed that my subconscious would prevent me from firing the killing shot if something prompted me to remember."

The man straightened. "Nevertheless, you have failed. Another slip such as that one and you are done."

"I am aware," Kate responded, staring straight into the distance again.

The man turned to the small group of scientists standing behind him, all watching the exchange between him and the sniper studiously. "She is in pristine condition, physically," one of the scientists told him. "Her mental condition is slightly off, but that is expected, what with her recent brush with NCIS."

Kate lifted an eyebrow and slightly cocked her head as if to say "I told you so."

"However, we believe that only brief reconditioning is necessary before her next assignment," the scientist added.

"Good," both the man and Kate said at the same time.

"We've just been sent the mission file," an agent said, walking into the room. Short but muscular, the agent had dark skin and short cropped black hair. "Sergeant Barnes is being briefed as we speak."

The man took the file from the agent and perused its contents before looking up at Kate, who was waiting expectantly, muscles tensed in anticipation of another mission with her supersoldier partner.

"Set the headpiece in place," he ordered. "After the reconditioning, you report to Agent Sivil for briefing."

As the scientists positioned the headset over her head, Kate closed her eyes and tilted her head back just enough to make their job easier. The corner of her mouth quirked up.

It was time to live the thrill of the chase again.