Chapter 74

McCallan led the attack on the Chitauri behemoths, Rhodey and Stark flying to either side of him and Thor bringing up the rear. The ETCD pilot wasted no time and fired two missiles straight down the throat of one of the creatures, flying up over the creature as it roared in pain.

Stark quickly realized the behemoths weren't going to be as much as a threat this time. With the four of them, the creatures would be eliminated in a short space of time.

"Stark, Colonel Rhodes, bank to your outside," McCallan ordered. "Thor, take the one up top."

"We got this," Stark said. "Don't we, McCallan?"

"Yes, sir."

****

Gibbs rolled over onto his stomach as Sharpe increased gravitational pull on Barton and forced him flat. Rogers was already standing up as the Chitauri began to come closer as the covering fire ceased.

"I have waited too long for this," Sharpe fumed. "I will not lose!"

In answer, McGhee shifted his gun, which was resting flat against the ground, and shot Sharpe in the foot.

Sharpe cursed and yelled, hopping around on one foot as McGhee fired again, into the other foot. Rogers launched himself at the Walker as he floated slightly up into the air to prevent his falling over. As Sharpe turned his attention to the captain, Gibbs lunged from behind.

Barton and McGhee pushed themselves up as the gravitational pull on them decreased. As Sharpe flew up into the air, trying to evade the former Marine, Gibbs held on and reached forward, wrapping his hand around the scientist's chin.

"You won't win," Sharpe howled. "You won't!"

Gibbs didn't answer, just made sure his hands were in position and jerked sideways.

Sharpe's howling stopped as his neck snapped.

Gibbs released Sharpe's head as the scientist went limp and stopped ascending. Then Drift's voice spoke in Gibbs' ear: "Agent Sniper has escaped us. She's heading in your direction, Agent Gibbs."

There was no time to process that information. Avoiding ending up a splatter on the ground below was his first priority.

"Stark!" Gibbs commed.

"Agent Gibbs, is that you I see falling through the sky?"

"As a matter of fact, it is."

"On my way."

Gibbs could hear Iron Man's thrusters approaching as he fell, arms and legs spread out.

****

Agent Sniper let go of the behemoth as it swooped closer to the ground in an attempt to escape the jet's strafing runs. Folding into a roll as she hit the ground, she came out of it running, sniper rifle in her hands.

Sharpe was failing. Leopard was losing ground and confidence. The Chitauri were practically leaderless and their squadrons would fall apart and go berserk as soon as Sharpe fell. The war was not going well for them.

But she was a contractor with a mission to eliminate NCIS Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs, and she couldn't fail.

Not without consequences.

****

Sharpe's body hit the ground hard and McGhee peered at it from behind the car. It looked dead. His neck was twisted at an awkward angle that hinted it had been broken.

"I think he's dead," Barton voiced.

"Cover me," McGhee ordered, and he ran, hunched over, to Sharpe's side. He placed his fingers on the scientist's neck, feeling for a pulse.