Duty Calls

Its Monday and Angie is back at work doing her thing. She was in her office when she was called out by her supervisor to work the ER floor for the rest of the day. She went to change clothes, wash up her hands and traded in her Dolce and Gabana dress for some scrubs and got to work. She hardly complained though because she enjoyed the emergency room section of the hospital. It was where all the action was. There was never a dull moment. After hours and hours of non-stop care Angie happened to miss her lunch break and had to settle for some crackers and water. By 9:00pm that night she was completely exhausted, but luckily it was about time for her to clock out. 

Angie POV 

My feet are killing me! I have been up and down these halls all day rushing from one patient to another. This is some tiring work, but I enjoy every minute of it. I finally get to my office after all these hours to check some emails. As soon as I walk in I am greeted by a stack of papers on my desk. Ugh. Great. I plop down in my chair and stare at them for a while then make a furocious grown as a separated them to see what I was working with. Hmm just some MRI papers and a couple of patient charts from today. No biggie. As I weave my way through the stack they began to disappear. Nice. Damn im good at what I do. I finally get to the last page of some documents when my supervisor Johnathan walks in on me. 

J: Well hello Mrs. Peterson did you get my little present there? 

A: Yes I did Johnathan and you know better. (in sing song voice) 

J: Oh silly me I apologize for giving my most complicated work to my best OB/GYN in the whole unit! 

A: (laughs slightly) Haha dont try and butter me up Jonhnathan. I know you did this in hopes that I would take your offer but its not working. 

J: Oh come on Angela stop beating around the bush! You know you are one of the best damn nurses we have here in this place. Dont you wanna have some sort of authority? 

A: Johnathan I do have some authority...

J: (stares)....yea I dont think telling shelly out there to run and get you some coffee is authority Angie. 

A: (gets up from desk) Alright John. So what I dont have too much authority around here, but HEY! People respect me though. 

J: And yes they do! But dont you think we should give them another reason to do so? Angela. Come on how long have I been your boss? 

A: Long time 

J: Yes and that is long enough to know how much you have improved and know your strengths and weaknesses. Angela you have what it takes to be Head Manager of your branch. Dont you want to have something to be proud of. Im sure you owe it to yourself. 

Angela thought about what Johnathan had said. He was right he has known her for a long time and since she has gotten here she has become one of the most improved nurses he has had on his team. She has the potential, but she was afraid of the responsibility it would take. Johnathan gave her a pat on her back and proceeded to walk out her office, "The offers on the table sweetie." He got to her door and swung back around to say "Oh yea forgot to mention ya got one more patient down the hall that needs sutures. Knife stab.....yea. He then walked out after his nonchalant comment making Angela laugh to herself. "That man is crazy." 

In Patient Room... 

P: Look Man! I dont need no damn stitches just put a fucking bandage on it and call it a day okay!! 

N: Listen Sir you need to calm down I can hel-

P: I dont need your help dont touch me bitch! 

N: Okay he's not cooperating we need some help in here! 

As the nurse was beginning to walk out of the room Angela was walking around the corner. "Oh Ang thank god we need some help in here with this patient." The nurse said desparately. "Yea I was coming to help this is my last patient of the day. Stab wound right?" "Yes, we ne- . Just then the patient began to curse out and yell at other nurses. "Just come in would ya?" The nurse asked Angie. She nodded her head and followed behind her to the room. "I told you I dont need your help. I just wan-. At that moment the patient laid their eyes on Angie while she layed her eyes on them. "Nurse Peterson, this is Mr. Bourgeois and he is need of stitches for his wound. Would you mind helping him out this evening?"