Chapter 25 Out of This World

Nya's Pov (show)

After walking out of the base, I looked around for any sign of Cole. Finally being away from the loud arguing, I was able to hear the faint sound of water splashing.

I glanced to my left and noticed Cole sitting on the edge of one of the docks. I drew closer to see that he had a sad look on his face. It was a rare sight to see Cole down like this.

Annoyed, yes. But sad?

The only time I saw him looking this defeated was when he first turned into a ghost.

I drew closer to him. He didn't seem to notice me, probably deep in thought. I sat down beside him, our legs hung over the cool lake. I noticed Cole was forming rocks with his powers and tossing them into the pool of water.

I thought about what to say to him. We haven't talked much in a long time. I mean, we've hung out together, but that's only with the rest of the team.

That's when my mind went as far back as when I used to date him, well more like one date if I'm being honest.

There was a time when I thought I had feelings for him. Now, though, I realized that I had just liked the idea of liking him... if that makes any sense.

I internally groaned at the memory, hating myself for acting so stupid. For dragging Cole into the whole mess that was my feelings and hurting Jay in the process, but--

--It felt nice, at the time, to think that I actually had options for who I could be with instead of just being Jay's girl. Instead of just being stuck with one destiny as if I had no say in the matter.

Of course, over time, I realized that Jay really was who I wanted to be with after all, and I was more than happy with my choice. I was more than happy when I realized that it was me making that choice and not following what everyone else expected of me.

And I would make that choice again for myself... but maybe, for the next time, I'd find a better way to express how I was feeling. A way that didn't cause all that past drama and definitely awkward tension that I was now feeling when sitting next to Cole.

I glanced over at Cole again. He still wasn't saying word. I'm not sure if he even acknowledged that I sat down.

Cole and I have had our rough patches here and there, but I do think, in all honesty, we're okay now.

After I had that talk with him when he first turned into a ghost, I really felt like we were moving on from ex-crushes to good friends again--

--But now we're here. Me having another talk with him and having no idea what to even say!

Ugh, why do serious conversations always have to be so hard to do?! Maybe I should have had Lloyd or Zane come and talk to him. They're way better at giving advice than me.

I took in a deep breath, and I finally looked his way again.

"Cole? You wanna talk about what happened back there?" I asked, sounding way more confident with my words than I really was.

"Not really, no," Cole spoke with slight irritation.

"Cole, I know you want us to trust Stellar, but we're just being careful. You have to give us time," I explained.

Cole sighed. He stopped his rock throwing.

"I know, I just... I trust her, and I want you guys to see that," Cole replied with a deep frown. My brow knitted, staring at him with deep confusion.

What was it about this girl that Cole trusted so much?

Cole's no fool, so how can he suddenly trust this criminal so quickly?