[18] "Babies Are Such A Beautiful Thing."

◈◇◈ JAKE ALLOCCO ◇◈◇

{Friday, November 23, 2018}

{10:11 am} WAKING UP THE NEXT MORNING, I climb out of bed, throw some athletic shorts on and go downstairs.

Entering the kitchen, my nose is instantly attacked with the smell of bacon, eggs, pancakes and waffles. I glance at the kitchen table and realize there's, in fact, a big breakfast spread out on the table and I spot my mom and Gavin wrapped up in each other's arms in the corner. My mom's giggling at whatever Gavin just said. I smile at them and sit down at the table. "Good morning, honey," my mom greets. "How'd you sleep last night?"

"Morning, Mama," I reply, grinning back at her. "I slept great."

Gavin and my mom sit down at the table and we start piling our plates. "So when are you going back?" Mama asks, raising an eyebrow.

I shrug. "I guess later," I whisper. "I really miss Nova, but damn I'm terrified about this baby."

"Why are you so terrified, honey?" my mom asks, giving me a curious look.

"My first child," I murmur. "Well, technically, it's not my first child because I've helped Nova raise Jace this past year and a half, but this is my first pregnancy. I don't know if I'm ready for the random mood swings, and the 2am cravings, and the random emotional breakdowns, etcetera."

"But it's all going to be worth it in the end," my mom answers. "Babies are such a beautiful thing."

I chuckle inaudibly as I nod slowly. "Yeah." I fidget with my fork. "I'm just scared. I've never dealt with this before."

Reaching across the table, my mom gently pats my hand as she smiles at me. "I love you, son," she replies. "I'm always going to be here for you and Nova. And I'm sorry I was so absent in yours and Nevaeh's life's. And it sucks that I can't even be in Nevaeh's life now because she's gone."

"She would have loved getting to know you better," I answer. "I love you, Mama. I'm happy to have you back in my life."

My mom smiles at me and then we finish our breakfast.

▶︎▷▶︎ NOVA WEST ◁◀︎◁

{12:04 pm} "Have you talked to Jake today?" I ask Destiny as I sit down on the couch.

Peering up at me, she frowns at me as she shakes her head. "No, I haven't," she whispers. "Just give him some time and he'll be back."

I sigh heavily as I pinch the bridge of my nose with my left hand and gently rub my stomach with my right hand. "I really don't want to go through another pregnancy by myself again," I murmur.

"I promise he'll be back," Destiny informs, forking over a caring smile. "He just needs to process this all."

Frowning slightly, I nod as I sigh mutely.

~ ~ ~

{1:23 pm} "Here, honey," I reply, setting the plate containing the PB & J sandwich down in front of Jace. "What do you want to drink?"

"Milk," he replies before taking a bite of his sandwich.

Retrieving the carton of milk from the fridge, I grab the plastic Star Wars cup and pour some in the cup. I set it down beside his plate and he smiles at me. "Thank you, Mama," he acknowledges before taking a sip. Sitting down in the chair beside him, I sigh softly as I absentmindedly place my hand on my stomach. Jace glances at me and gives me a curious look. "Mama, you okay?"