[12] "This Is Where I Belong!"

▶︎▷▶︎ NOVA WEST ◁◀︎◁

{5:13 pm} IN THE PARKING LOT, I glance at my surroundings and instantly notice a guy who looks to be 27 sitting on the black metal bench, smoking a cigarette. He's also wearing a black pullover hoodie that says: GBC BIGHORNS on the front with "Great Basin College" logo on the front and he has the hood pulled up, casting a shadow on his face. When he looks up I gasp softly as I move to stand behind Jake somewhat. "Ty-Tyler," I whisper.

He smirks at me. "Hey, gorgeous," he replies, his voice sounding like my grandpa's after he smoked cigarettes for fifty years. "It's been what? Almost eight years since you left me. How've you been?" He sweeps his gorgeous, captivating deep green eyes across my body and I stiffen. "You look beautiful, by the way."

"Don't call me gorgeous," I hiss in a low voice as I shoot him an unamused look. "I'm not your girlfriend anymore. And I don't need comments like that from you."

Tyler releases a deep, old man's laugh as he takes one last puff of his cigarette before smashing underneath his heavy boot. "Why not?" he questions. "Is this guy you're with like your effing boyfriend or something?"

Jake growls under his breath. "Actually, 'I' am her boyfriend," he hisses, "and I suggest you leave her alone."

Tyler rolls his eyes.

Seconds later, a black 2018 Chevy Traverse pulls into the parking lot and Tyler stands up. Silently, I observe as he stalks over to the passenger's seat and opens the door. After a moment, he turns to me. "I'll see you later, 'babe'," he replies, emphasizing the word babe and grinning at me. Then, he slams the door shut and the car disappears around the corner, making a California stop at the stop sign.

{5:15 pm} I gasp softly as I practically dig my nails into my boyfriend's bicep. Jake sighs softly as he turns around to face me. "Are you okay?" he asks, gripping my face gently and giving me a concerning look.

I shake my head quickly as I mutter, "No."

Sighing softly, he envelopes me in his muscular, strong arms and gives me a tight hug. After several seconds, he pulls away and we go over to his car. Buckling his seatbelt, Jake puts the address for the restaurant into his GPS on his smartphone.

◈◇◈ JAKE ALLOCCO ◇◈◇

{5:58 pm} Once we're parked, I hear Nova gasp beside me. "Oh my gosh," she mutters, covering her mouth as glimpses around at the view. "Babe, you really didn't have to do 'all' this."

I shrug as I grab her hand. "Tonight is a big night for us," I acknowledge, "so I wanted to. Now come on, our table should almost be ready."

"Jake, I love you so much," she whispers softly as she stands beside me.

Glancing at her, I smile before I lightly kiss her temple.

That's when Walker appears and smiles at me. (Walker is an old friend of mine. He used to live in Pennsylvania when he was younger and we went to the same elementary and middle school.) "Evening, Jake," he greets. "Your table is ready outside on the balcony. You and your date can follow me."

Nodding, we follow him back.

"Huh, Jake, this is so pretty!" Nova gushes when she sees our view from the balcony where our table is.

Grinning at her, I pull her chair out and she beams at me as she sits down. I push her chair back in and sit down in my chair.

~ ~ ~

{6:46 pm} Nova wipes her mouth with her napkin after finishing the last bite of her dessert before a smile plasters across her face. "Jakey, this is so romantic," she informs in a flirty tone. "Definitely one of the greatest dates you've taken me on!"