Kabanata 8

Callen froze for a while, processing every word he had heard. Nevertheless, he couldn’t help himself from blushing, while his heart pounded strongly inside his chest, making it difficult to breathe.

The feeling was madness! It was driving him nuts!  

Did he hear Arruba’s words correctly?

She liked him too?

Dammit! He couldn’t believe it. Shock was evidently visible in his eyes.

“You’re kidding me, right? Don’t joke at me like that, schatzi,” aniyang halos pabulong. Nananaginip ba siya? Hindi na niya alam ang totoo sa hindi.

“You know I’m not a good joker, Callen.”

“But—” Arruba suddenly kissed him, making him shut. Nanlaki na lamang ang mga mata niya. It was his first kiss!

“No more buts, Callen,” anito nang pakawalan ang labi niya. “Did you really think I’d kiss someone I don’t like? It’s my first kiss, you know.” She smiled at him sweetly, washing away his uncertainty.

Napangiti na rin siya. “Ya lyu-blyu vas, schatzi. Du bist sehr schon,” (I love you, schatzi. You’re very beautiful,) aniya bago niyakap ang dalaga. 

Young love—oftentimes referred to as a delicate symphony of two hearts innocently dancing in discovery. It embodies the raw beauty of vulnerability, as two souls navigate uncharted waters, bound by the allure of possibility and the intoxicating scent of affection.

However, in the tangled garden of forbidden love, where whispers are like petals dancing in the breeze, his heart find solace in their clandestine embrace. He knew that their hearts beat in synchrony, like the gentle sway of a wild lily in the moonlit night, yearning to bloom despite the constraints of society’s thorns.

Sinubukan naman kasi niyang pigilan ang nadarama. Sinubukan niyang iwasan. Amidst his desire to forget his feelings towards his stepsister, he couldn’t help himself but drown each day, seeing her smile and acting strong in front of everyone. It moved him. Her little act of being independently strong melted the barrier he had set for himself.

Siya lang ang tanging nakakakilala rito. Ang puso niya lang ang nakakakita sa totoong ito. Kaya imbes na iwasan at kalimutan, mas minahal at ginusto niya ang dalaga; kahit nasasaktan siya sa katotohanan na hindi sila puwedeng magmahalan dahil bawal.

Wala naman kasi siyang balak ipaalam iyon. He would keep his feelings to himself. He wasn’t worthy of her anyway. He was a commoner, disowned by his own father; neglected to be called a son. Inampon lang naman siya ng isang mayamang negosyante kaya nagbago kahit kaunti ang antas niya sa buhay. Utang niya sa matandang Dietrich ang kung ano ang mayroon siya ngayon.

You crossed the line, idiot! sigaw ng isip niya.

Yeah, sure he did.

Inevitable things did happen.

Ngunit, nangyari na ang nangyari. Nasabi na rin ang mga bagay na hindi dapat masabi.

Handa na siyang harapin ang kahit anong parusa, kung ang kapalit niyon ay ang pagmamahal na mula sa babaeng ni minsan ay hindi niya inakalang yuyuko at titingnan siya sa paraan kung paano niya ito tingnan.

Hindi niya alam kung ano ang nagawa niyang kabutihan para gantimpalaan siya ng langit.

“Are you afraid?” Arruba asked when they got out of the car. Hindi na sila bumalik sa eskwelahan kundi umuwi na lang sa mansion.

“Nope. Why would I?” sagot niya, hinuli ang kamay nito. He wanted to hold her hand while walking. He wanted to feel that he wasn’t dreaming.

Narinig niyang tumawa si Arruba. Napangiti siya’t tiningnan ito. Damn! She was beyond beautiful. She was perfect in his eyes!