twenty-seven

are you leaving me for taika waititi, kookauburra? :: jesus christjune 29th, 2020

june 29th, 2020

"HEY, KOOKABURRA," AWSTEN KNIGHT SAYS ONCE THE FACTIME CALL CONNECTS. June wrinkles her nose at the nickname.

 "Like the bird?" she asks.

 Awsten laughs. "Yeah, y'know, like, Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree," he sings.

 "Please don't get that stuck in my head," she groans, causing him to laugh again.

 "So, what'd you call me for?"

 June just shrugs, taking him in. "I missed you." He looks good. Maybe it's his soft smile or just the fact that he always looks this good. His roots are growing out slightly, and his bright green hair is beginning to fade. She wonders if he'll dye it that color again. Probably, he has a brand, right?

 Awsten adjusts the chain around his neck and runs his fingers through the messy green locks she was admiring moments before.

 The two sit in silence as he begins to take in June's appearance as well. Her hair is neatly combed, though her bangs are starting to grow out a little bit too long. She smiles softly at him, and oh, he likes that smile so much.

 He despretly wants to write a song about her, but can't quite find the words to express how he feels quite yet. How would she react to that? Maybe for now, he could just pretend that some of the old songs are about her, maybe that will take away all the negative emotions tied to them.

 Her top must be new; it's a faded sweater, but he didn't ever see it on her the entire time he was locked up in her apartment.

 "So, you have a podcast, right?" June asks suddenly, breaking the silence they had going.

 Awsten nods. "And you listen to it."

 "What if I was a guest?"

 "No," Awsten laughs. "Absolutely not."

 "How come?" the girl pouts. "I think it would be fun. And besides, I've got to meet my sister's boyfriend at some point."

 "Meet him a different way, not reading fanfiction about me fucking my friends." Awsten has to admit that it would actually be really fun to have her on the podcast, but it's also the worst idea ever. That would 100% ruin everything between them, it would freak her out too much.

 Even if she does listen to it regularly, listening to the podcast and participating in it are two entirely different things.

 "You're no fun," she frowns. "What else do you do? You got to be in my movie, I wanna be in something you do."

 "Well, I play in this little band, maybe you've heard of them?"

 June gasps. "A show! I should come to a show! And bring Lucas, and Macy, and Jack, and maybe even Ivy if she comes to town!"

 "That'd actually be pretty tight, except we're not touring anymore."

 June frowns again. "A special show, just for me?" She bats her eyelashes, hoping he'll agree.

 Awsten thinks it over for a few moments. "That would be cool actually. I could check and see how possible that is, and then I'll get back to you."

 A small while later, after a few brief conversations about nothing, Awsten asks, "So hows your mini quarantine going?"

 "It's no fun without you," June admits. "I have some interview scheduled once I'm allowed to leave my apartment."

 "With Natalie Hawthorne?" Awsten gasps dramatically as June picks up her laptop and carries it to the kitchen.

 "Nah, she's kind of fallen off the face of the Earth again," she tells him while taking out a mug from the cabinet and some orange juice from the fridge. "Kinda wanna DM her on Instagram and see if she's doing okay."

 "Bet she's writing a book about you."

 "I hope she's writing a book about me." They laugh, and June finally adds, "But no, it's some Buzzfeed one, not the puppy one though, sadly. I'm a little shocked they wanted me to come in, I thought Buzzfeed was usually for actors and musicians, not directors."

 "Doesn't Taika Waititi have a Buzzfeed interview?" Awsten asks, causing June to grin.

 "Did you really just compare me to Taika Waititi? I'm extremely flattered, but I know you're lying."

 "I didn't compare you to him," Awsten rolls his eyes and tries to hold back a smile. "I just stated a fact, he's a director and I think he has a Buzzfeed interview."

 "He's so much more than that," June swoons playfully.

 "Are you leaving me for Taika Waititi, Kookaburra?" Awsten raises his eyebrows and June scrunched her nose at the nickname again.

 But then the two freeze up for a second. Yes, they both thought that they were together, that they were dating, but something about Awsten using the phrase "are you leaving me" just made them want to actually discuss this more.

 "I didn't mean..." Awsten begins but June shakes her head.

 They need this, so she asks him, "Awsten Knight, will you officially be my boyfriend?"

 He nods and tells her yes.

i'm having way too much fun with the names for third person pov if you can't tell

oh, y'all?? i dyed my hair red and now i look like a female version of jawn rocha and it's driving me crazy. i miss my green hair.